welcome to connect: project 2011

This blog is a project I'm undertaking for 2011... Why don't you join me?

The goal is to spend a little time each day reading from a devotional book, Daily in Christ by Neil T. Anderson, and connecting with people via blog post and comments.

Don't have the book yet? You can find it on Amazon, or you can read the daily post at:
www.crosswalk.com/devotionals/dailyinchrist

Why would we do this? For me, it's to reinforce a habit I need, to own my own faith, to connect with God and what He's saying to me, and to connect with people who are hungry to know God more...

Your reasons might be some of the same as mine.

The more folks read and comment, the richer the experience will be. Join the discussion!

Saturday, December 24, 2011

Seeking the Giver


To one person the Spirit gives the ability to give wise advice; to another He gives the gift of special knowledge.  The Spirit gives special faith to another, and to someone else He gives the power to heal the sick.  He gives one person the power to perform miracles, and to another the ability to prophesy.  He gives someone else the ability to know whether it is really the Spirit of God or another spirit that is speaking.  Still another person is given the ability to speak in unknown languages, and another is given the ability to interpret what is being said.  It is the one and only Holy Spirit who distributes these gifts.  He alone decides which gift each person should have.  1 Corinthians 12:8-11

It’s Christmas, and we’re working with our kids on the importance of giving.  That’s a tall order when you’re 5 (or 7) and you know there are presents with your name on them!  At the heart of the discussion, though, is the idea that it’s not just a package; someone put some thought into it, went out and selected it, paid for it, and wrapped it.  It was given with love.

Yeah, ask me after tomorrow morning how that went…  But we’ve got to try, right?

The spiritual gifts God gave are pretty spectacular.  I needed to be reminded; that’s why I wrote out the verses above.  But just like a kid saying, Give me the present!, the temptation is to be so wowed by the gift that we forget what it’s all about.

This Christmas, I’m reminded to be impressed by the gift, but also that its purpose is to make me seek the Giver.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

I've been a teacher, a church administrator, and currently I'm an at-home mommy, which is my most challenging assignment yet. My home church is WellSpring - it's where my heart is, where my family is. I'm so grateful to God for His work in me and the people He's allowed me to share life with.