welcome to connect: project 2011

This blog is a project I'm undertaking for 2011... Why don't you join me?

The goal is to spend a little time each day reading from a devotional book, Daily in Christ by Neil T. Anderson, and connecting with people via blog post and comments.

Don't have the book yet? You can find it on Amazon, or you can read the daily post at:
www.crosswalk.com/devotionals/dailyinchrist

Why would we do this? For me, it's to reinforce a habit I need, to own my own faith, to connect with God and what He's saying to me, and to connect with people who are hungry to know God more...

Your reasons might be some of the same as mine.

The more folks read and comment, the richer the experience will be. Join the discussion!

Thursday, December 22, 2011

Gifting


It’s funny when our worldly thinking spills over into our life as it relates to God’s kingdom…  Jealousy, insecurity, and a desire for importance?  We see someone with fantastic gifting and, sometimes, we think, I wish I could do that! 

Paul wrote about it being almost-okay to be envious of spiritual gifts, but I believe he was being ironic.  He was pointing our attention at what was desirable – what God has to offer, instead of what the world has.

Our tendency is to compare ourselves to others, and it’s not good.  If we think we look good compared to someone, it’s at their expense, and it’s a temporary fix for our feelings of insecurity.  If we’re down on ourselves because there’s always someone better, it’s a false sense of humble-ness.  Making comparisons give us the feeling that things aren’t fair; true humility holds God in His right place, the giver of all things good, in whatever measure He wants to give.

So if God is the one who gives me any spiritual gifting I might have, my worth as a believer comes from Him who gave it to me, instead of from me – I had nothing to do with how it was given!

And beyond that, God’s word says that if I want more gifting, I must use what I have been given (see the parable of the talents in Matthew 25). 

Thinking of the guy who buried what the master gave him in the ground, I love this from Neil:  Tragically, many people go to the grave with their music still in them, never contributing to the symphony of God’s work.

Today, I’m going to be thanking God for how He has made me, and asking Him for wisdom on how to rightly use my gifting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

I've been a teacher, a church administrator, and currently I'm an at-home mommy, which is my most challenging assignment yet. My home church is WellSpring - it's where my heart is, where my family is. I'm so grateful to God for His work in me and the people He's allowed me to share life with.