welcome to connect: project 2011

This blog is a project I'm undertaking for 2011... Why don't you join me?

The goal is to spend a little time each day reading from a devotional book, Daily in Christ by Neil T. Anderson, and connecting with people via blog post and comments.

Don't have the book yet? You can find it on Amazon, or you can read the daily post at:
www.crosswalk.com/devotionals/dailyinchrist

Why would we do this? For me, it's to reinforce a habit I need, to own my own faith, to connect with God and what He's saying to me, and to connect with people who are hungry to know God more...

Your reasons might be some of the same as mine.

The more folks read and comment, the richer the experience will be. Join the discussion!

Friday, December 9, 2011

Lesson plans


Today, I’m challenged by this from Neil:  Whatever we think will make us happy, satisfied, successful, etc., is what constitutes our belief system.

Kind of deep for a Friday.

I’m reminded, though, of a shift that happened when I was a teacher.  We were required to write out our lesson plans for each week (in a Lesson Plans book, of course) for two reasons – first, to keep us on track, and second, if we woke up sick, a substitute would have a fighting chance to make it through the day, sanity intact.

Probably it was the result of a seminar our principal attended – she never really said – but at one point, she changed the way she wanted us to write lesson plans.  In each 1½ inch square for each subject for every day, in addition to the workbook page numbers, etc., we had to write lesson objectives.  I learned to write small.

I also learned, after a brief struggle, the value of having a specific, measurable objective in mind as I taught the lesson.  I felt a sense of accomplishment when, at the end, I could see that I had met my goal.  I learned how to write objectives in my sleep, too.

As this year comes to a close, I’m inspired to reflect on what my life objectives are – what I think will make me happy, satisfied, successful, etc.  No, I won’t drag out my old lesson plan book (I’m sure I still have one around here somewhere!), but I need to get better at looking at the big picture.  I’m going to be asking God to speak to me in that process.

Why don’t you join me?

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

I've been a teacher, a church administrator, and currently I'm an at-home mommy, which is my most challenging assignment yet. My home church is WellSpring - it's where my heart is, where my family is. I'm so grateful to God for His work in me and the people He's allowed me to share life with.