welcome to connect: project 2011

This blog is a project I'm undertaking for 2011... Why don't you join me?

The goal is to spend a little time each day reading from a devotional book, Daily in Christ by Neil T. Anderson, and connecting with people via blog post and comments.

Don't have the book yet? You can find it on Amazon, or you can read the daily post at:
www.crosswalk.com/devotionals/dailyinchrist

Why would we do this? For me, it's to reinforce a habit I need, to own my own faith, to connect with God and what He's saying to me, and to connect with people who are hungry to know God more...

Your reasons might be some of the same as mine.

The more folks read and comment, the richer the experience will be. Join the discussion!

Friday, December 30, 2011

Say it out loud


I know, it sounds hokey.  What’s the deal with Neil wanting us to read his stuff out loud?  And often? 

If you go back and read what Neil has written, it’s all based directly on scripture.  He combines and shortens, but God’s word is there. 

Here’s the thing – God’s word isn’t like any other book ever written.  It was God-breathed and has power to change our lives (2 Timothy 3:16-17).

It’s not a static thing; here’s what Hebrews says:

For the word of God is full of living power.  It is sharper than the sharpest knife, cutting deep into our innermost thoughts and desires…  Hebrews 4:12

If I remember right, in the NIV, the first part uses the phrase “living and active.”  Think about that – it is God’s breath, it’s alive, and it is an agent of change for us…

And about reading aloud…  There’s power in the spoken word in the spiritual realm.  We won’t understand it all this side of heaven, but here’s what Isaiah says:

The rain and the snow come down from the heavens and stay on the ground to water the earth.  They cause the grain to grow, producing seed for the farmer and bread for the hungry.  It is the same with My word.  I send it out and it always produces fruit.  It will accomplish all I want it to, and it will prosper everywhere I send it.  Isaiah 55:10-11

As we wind down to the last day of the year, I’m thankful to be drawn back to the sense of awe for God’s word; I’m looking forward to digging in deep in the new year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

I've been a teacher, a church administrator, and currently I'm an at-home mommy, which is my most challenging assignment yet. My home church is WellSpring - it's where my heart is, where my family is. I'm so grateful to God for His work in me and the people He's allowed me to share life with.