welcome to connect: project 2011

This blog is a project I'm undertaking for 2011... Why don't you join me?

The goal is to spend a little time each day reading from a devotional book, Daily in Christ by Neil T. Anderson, and connecting with people via blog post and comments.

Don't have the book yet? You can find it on Amazon, or you can read the daily post at:
www.crosswalk.com/devotionals/dailyinchrist

Why would we do this? For me, it's to reinforce a habit I need, to own my own faith, to connect with God and what He's saying to me, and to connect with people who are hungry to know God more...

Your reasons might be some of the same as mine.

The more folks read and comment, the richer the experience will be. Join the discussion!

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

New wineskins


Recently, I ran into my junior high youth pastor – I haven’t seen him since I was in junior high!  He left our church to be a senior pastor just as we were leaving his youth group.  It was awesome to see him and catch up.

Among the things he said that totally blessed me was this:  You’ll never know how influential your junior high group was.  So many of you had a call on your life.  You guys were amazing – you would sit on the floor for 45 minutes and worship every Wednesday night…

It reminded me of another time I was talking with a children’s worship leader at a conference, and I was reminded of my grade-school days.  God gave me a picture of the amazing things going on in the sanctuary of our church – things were exploding (not literally, of course) – and downstairs, the basement was packed with kids lifting the floorboards above with praise and worship.  The work upstairs was built, to some extent, on what was going on downstairs.  My mind was blown.

These days, at our church, the youth group is on fire (again, not literally, although they are called the FIRE Squad), and our youth pack the front rows – THE FRONT ROWS – and throw all they’ve got into worship every Sunday morning. 

I’ve heard from the youth leaders that some of these kids come from rough homes; they bring broken hearts and require a lot of love and care.  It’s our job, as a church family, to embrace them and love them and release them to do God’s work. 

New wineskins?  Check.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

I've been a teacher, a church administrator, and currently I'm an at-home mommy, which is my most challenging assignment yet. My home church is WellSpring - it's where my heart is, where my family is. I'm so grateful to God for His work in me and the people He's allowed me to share life with.