welcome to connect: project 2011

This blog is a project I'm undertaking for 2011... Why don't you join me?

The goal is to spend a little time each day reading from a devotional book, Daily in Christ by Neil T. Anderson, and connecting with people via blog post and comments.

Don't have the book yet? You can find it on Amazon, or you can read the daily post at:
www.crosswalk.com/devotionals/dailyinchrist

Why would we do this? For me, it's to reinforce a habit I need, to own my own faith, to connect with God and what He's saying to me, and to connect with people who are hungry to know God more...

Your reasons might be some of the same as mine.

The more folks read and comment, the richer the experience will be. Join the discussion!

Sunday, December 11, 2011

Pride and spiritual conflict

What a fascinating premise today – pride is linked with spiritual conflict. 

I’m working on a thought.  Here it is:  pride is the expression of selfishness, and selfishness is the root of sin.  We want our way instead of God’s way.  What if pride isn’t just another (deadly) sin?  Isn’t rebellion, however slight, at the core of pride?  And rebellion against God is, indeed, what sent Satan out of heaven.

So pride leaves a door open for spiritual conflict.  Resisting the devil goes hand in hand with acknowledging my place in God’s protection, with humility. 

The passages Neil gives in the first paragraph are so practical.

1 Peter 5:1-10 talks about serving one another.  The phrases that stuck out were that we are to lead not by telling folks what to do, but by being a good example (v. 3), which demonstrates humility, and the directive that each of us is to serve one another in humility (v. 5). 

James 4:10 was worded so beautifully in the New Living Translation that I’m writing it for you here:

When you bow down before the Lord and admit your dependence on Him, He will lift you up and give you honor.

My marching orders for the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

I've been a teacher, a church administrator, and currently I'm an at-home mommy, which is my most challenging assignment yet. My home church is WellSpring - it's where my heart is, where my family is. I'm so grateful to God for His work in me and the people He's allowed me to share life with.