welcome to connect: project 2011

This blog is a project I'm undertaking for 2011... Why don't you join me?

The goal is to spend a little time each day reading from a devotional book, Daily in Christ by Neil T. Anderson, and connecting with people via blog post and comments.

Don't have the book yet? You can find it on Amazon, or you can read the daily post at:
www.crosswalk.com/devotionals/dailyinchrist

Why would we do this? For me, it's to reinforce a habit I need, to own my own faith, to connect with God and what He's saying to me, and to connect with people who are hungry to know God more...

Your reasons might be some of the same as mine.

The more folks read and comment, the richer the experience will be. Join the discussion!

Thursday, December 29, 2011

Active vs. passive


Although it’s not correct according to grammar, today’s reading reminds us that the word Christian works as a verb, but not as an adjective.  Sure, it might describe the things I believe in, but if it’s a passive description, it’s not an accurate one.

We don’t get to just add Christ on to our lives.  You can take an old, rusty car and give it a shiny new paint job, but it’s still a piece of junk.  You need a new car.  When we allow Jesus to take over, radical transformation takes place – we become the new thing.

No, we’re called to be so much more than passive believers. 

Nobody can live my faith for me.  I might be inspired by other people, but I am responsible for my own spirituality.  Just like I make sure I eat every day, I take time to get fed spiritually, too.  I work at my faith; I strive, not to achieve salvation, but to experience all I can of this beautiful gift, salvation. 

Where’s the point of application for me?  I’m reminded of how important it is to keep my focus on the right things; I’m reminded to be battle-ready at a moment’s notice.  Growing passive can happen so easily; I’m challenged to stay intent as I follow Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

I've been a teacher, a church administrator, and currently I'm an at-home mommy, which is my most challenging assignment yet. My home church is WellSpring - it's where my heart is, where my family is. I'm so grateful to God for His work in me and the people He's allowed me to share life with.