welcome to connect: project 2011

This blog is a project I'm undertaking for 2011... Why don't you join me?

The goal is to spend a little time each day reading from a devotional book, Daily in Christ by Neil T. Anderson, and connecting with people via blog post and comments.

Don't have the book yet? You can find it on Amazon, or you can read the daily post at:
www.crosswalk.com/devotionals/dailyinchrist

Why would we do this? For me, it's to reinforce a habit I need, to own my own faith, to connect with God and what He's saying to me, and to connect with people who are hungry to know God more...

Your reasons might be some of the same as mine.

The more folks read and comment, the richer the experience will be. Join the discussion!

Sunday, January 9, 2011

January 9, 2011


The power of the resurrection

It’s a strange thing to remember an assignment given in a college class, but I’m thinking about an essay assigned in Dr. Charlie Self’s class…  I was at Bethany Bible College, the class was probably New Testament, and the question was this:  What is the significance of the resurrection? 

It was one of those times I had to learn about what I already knew…  Sure, resurrection marked Jesus’ defeat of sin and death.  Without it, we wouldn’t have Easter, right?  But what did that mean to me, right now? 

I still remember the answer - the resurrection means everything!  Sure, it was symbolic, but the power of God to recall Jesus from death is the power that pulls me from death into life; it erases my sin, and it propels me into a new life in Christ. 

An amazing thing about God is that although He does things in different ways, He is still the same; His character is the same, His power is the same. 

Despite the fact that our culture marginalizes God, He is no less powerful.  He’s not just getting by – there’s absolutely nothing He can’t do!  Nobody is beyond hope, and no situation is too hard for Him to fix or redeem. 

That gives me hope and freedom.  And then comes the next part – that Jesus’ authority is above all, and that we are seated with Him in the heavenlies (metaphorically), therefore we share His power and authority.  He has chosen to give them to us.  Again, my mind is blown.

On Friday we read that who we are is central to what we do.  God wants us to deepen our understanding of who we are.  Imagine what will happen once that understanding is locked in.

3 comments:

  1. Authority. I've learend a few things about authority over the last 18 years. I have been granted the authority of the State of California to defend the defenseless and to uphold the laws of this state. I have seen this authority used well to usher in justice. I have also seen this authority abused and misused.

    The thing about authority.... it can be blinding and intoxicating. When exercised weekly, it can be taken for granted and the one who yields it can begin to misappropriate the origin of that authority. (Rampart ring a bell for anyone?) If left unchecked, the yielder of authority can begin to attribute the origin of the authority to himself/herself.

    What I appreciate about today's reading is that it reminds us that our authority comes from being plugged into Jesus. We share the greatest authority creation has and ever will know. Being heirs to the throne and sons/daughters of the King, we are allowed to operate in and through this authority "in accordance with the working of the strength of His might . . ."

    Jesus, as we learn who we are and begin to operate and relate to life from that position, may it move us into a deeper dependance on you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so thankful for being able to share the same position with Christ for what He did for me and that I am not under Satan’s power or influence or subject to his authority. I see the power of darkness that Satan holds in this world and the lives he wrecks. I am thankful to be free from that and find my strength in Christ who is above all demonic rule, authority and power.
    I have the peace of Christ and can live free for Him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "...the same power which raised Christ from the dead and defeated Satan is the power available to us to overcome the works of Satan in our daily lives."

    This sentence reminds me that I have access to the holy power of jesus Christ--I am set free from the laws of sin and death! My greatest challenge is to use God's power to continually defeat Satan's every attempt to derail me--through pride, anger, lust, impatience, laziness, etc. That power comes through a dynamic relationship with God-prayer, reading, stillness, worship--on a moment by moment basis. God, help me to remember the power you have given me, and help me remember to use it as I continue to pursue you in all things!

    ReplyDelete

About Me

I've been a teacher, a church administrator, and currently I'm an at-home mommy, which is my most challenging assignment yet. My home church is WellSpring - it's where my heart is, where my family is. I'm so grateful to God for His work in me and the people He's allowed me to share life with.