welcome to connect: project 2011

This blog is a project I'm undertaking for 2011... Why don't you join me?

The goal is to spend a little time each day reading from a devotional book, Daily in Christ by Neil T. Anderson, and connecting with people via blog post and comments.

Don't have the book yet? You can find it on Amazon, or you can read the daily post at:
www.crosswalk.com/devotionals/dailyinchrist

Why would we do this? For me, it's to reinforce a habit I need, to own my own faith, to connect with God and what He's saying to me, and to connect with people who are hungry to know God more...

Your reasons might be some of the same as mine.

The more folks read and comment, the richer the experience will be. Join the discussion!

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

January 4, 2011


More on goals vs. desires… 

(If you missed yesterday’s entry, you might want to go back and read January 3rd – look a the bottom of crosswalk’s page and you’ll find the last several day’s readings.)

Don’t you love someone who will tell an embarrassing or unflattering story about themselves?  Quite endearing, I think.

So Neil’s goal was a special, happy family breakfast.  What should it have been instead of a goal?  Say it with me:  a desire!  Yes, I need to keep that level of expectation (big & important) reserved for things that depend only on me, right?  Because the inevitable will happen – someone will come along and mess it up.  And I’ll be ticked…  And whose fault is that?  Yup, it’s mine, because I had an expectation that was too high.

I found my self pondering his wrap-up, though, and trying to nail down the significance.  Why is it such a big deal that we differentiate between a goal and a desire?

I’m thinking it has to do with the fact that we tend to gauge who we are by what we’ve accomplished…  I can feel pretty crummy about myself when I look around my house at all my unfinished projects.  Without putting it into these words, though, I rehearse to myself that these are desires, not goals. 

So what are my goals?  They need to be the things worth laying down my life for, right?  Keeping everyone fed and in clean clothes; being the wife and mommy God wants me to; hearing from God and doing what He’s telling me to do. 

If the end result of this is not feeling like I’m in the waves being battered against the rocks – circumstances, mean people, etc. – it’s worth the effort.

What did you think?  Where are you on setting goals in your life?  And why do you think it’s such a big deal that we get goals and desires really well defined in our minds?

4 comments:

  1. Ok, so this has been rattling around in my mind since last night's small group discussion of yesterday's reading. What exactly is the purpose of goals vs desires? How do they both operate in my own life? Why do bad guys always bail out of the car and follow each other when running from us? Um, sorry about that. Too early for me and not all my social filters are up yet.

    I am beginning to more fully understand that God uses the desires He places in my heart as "Force Multipliers" to my faith and dependance on Him. The journey of the last 4 years in seeking a promotion at work (which I know understand has been a desire and not a goal)has been one filled with blocking circumstances out of my control.

    As difficult as this journey has been at times, when I get done pouting about it, the dissappointments have inevitably lead me to rely that much more on Him and not my own abilities. Countless times during this journey I have been brought back to the place of saying, "Ok God, you are still on the throne. You are in control and I am not. This has not caught you by surprise as much as it has me."

    I believe our God given desires are given to draw us closer to Him as He works those things out in our life. For me, they have stripped me of reliance on me and lead me to a greater dependance on Him. It hasn't (and at times still isn't) been easy but it has been worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This devotion does tie in with yesterday’s goal vs. desire message. I really can’t control other people. When I put my happiness into a goal/desire that includes another person agreeing with me or doing something to make me happy I will fall short and be disappointed. When I look toward what God has in mind, then I am the only ones who can disappoint me I want to be the wife, mom, friend, and leaderGod wants me to be.
    I pray today for forgiveness for letting other people or circumstances (including the ones I have caused) interfere with the path you have laid out for me this day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We discussed these two (yesterday and today) devotionals in Care Group last night. Where it lands for me, I think, is that I feel better about myself when things go right at home, at work and at church because I assign a little bit of my self worth to the *desires* I have in each of those areas. I do this subconsciously and probably half the time I realize that I am beating myself up over things out of my control.

    If I plan and think ahead of time what are *goals* and what are *desires* I won't be misrepresenting my self worth with failed *desires* and I will probably handle myself better in the moment and that would be a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "When you base your life on the success of plans that are subject to people and circumstances, your life will be one long, emotional roller coaster ride. And the only way to get off the roller coaster is to walk by faith according to the truth of God's Word. Who you are must not be dependent on the cooperation of others or favorable circumstances." This brings to mind a verse that I like to reflect on--Proverbs 19: 21 "Many are the plans in a man's heart, but it is the LORD's purpose that prevails." A lot of times I have desires, hopefully Godly desires , that I then transfer into "Godly goals" . I then pursue these goals only to experience what is quoted above. Too often, I do not take the time to pursue God to see if my plans, desires, goals reflect God's purpose for me, or for others that are part of my plan. Then I get bummed out and tend to beat myself up mentally over my failed "plan". God, help me to meet with you so that my plans are aligned with your purpose.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

I've been a teacher, a church administrator, and currently I'm an at-home mommy, which is my most challenging assignment yet. My home church is WellSpring - it's where my heart is, where my family is. I'm so grateful to God for His work in me and the people He's allowed me to share life with.