welcome to connect: project 2011

This blog is a project I'm undertaking for 2011... Why don't you join me?

The goal is to spend a little time each day reading from a devotional book, Daily in Christ by Neil T. Anderson, and connecting with people via blog post and comments.

Don't have the book yet? You can find it on Amazon, or you can read the daily post at:
www.crosswalk.com/devotionals/dailyinchrist

Why would we do this? For me, it's to reinforce a habit I need, to own my own faith, to connect with God and what He's saying to me, and to connect with people who are hungry to know God more...

Your reasons might be some of the same as mine.

The more folks read and comment, the richer the experience will be. Join the discussion!

Friday, January 28, 2011

January 28, 2011


It’s not about the rules…

As I thought about today’s entry, trying to get to the heart of it and what it means to me today, it’s this:  don’t get caught up on what things look like.

Don’t get stuck in thinking about what someone might think of me if I wore the wrong thing…  Superhero t-shirt at church?  (Wolverine – not the best example, but it’s what’s in my drawer)  Church t-shirt at my kids’ school?  What are the stereotypes I’ll be seen through if I do? 

Don’t get stuck on what church is supposed to look like…  For as open-minded as I am, I’m surprised by the things I hold sacred (or, at least, really nifty) that don’t matter at all in eternity.  Worship?  Bulletins?  Well proof-read written materials?  What are your things?

Don’t get stuck on what someone else’s life should look like…  Sure, there are going to be the issues of maturity that, on occasion, I’ll have an opportunity to work with someone on, but my job is to remind my brothers and sisters in Christ to listen to the voice of the Father.  He’s working things out in their lives, just like in mine.

And last, don’t get stuck on what I think His work in my life looks like.  Sometimes it comes through conflict (dang!); sometimes it comes through betrayal.  It has come through working at a tough job, and through caring for a special needs child. 

Equal to not assigning spirituality to spiritual-looking things is being able to find God where He surprises me.

3 comments:

  1. Now you Pharisees clean the outside of the cup and of the platter... I take my coffee with cream and if I never washed the inside of my cup I might not feel so well!

    I love the fact that we don't have to live our lives according to a strict routine but to act according to our hearts. I love standing up during worship when my heart leads me to and not solely on when I am required to. I pray in the car or while I'm watching tv.

    The fact that I'm not perfect is God's perfection! If he wanted us to look and act without flaw, He would have made us so!

    Thank you Lord for my freedom to worship you as I please!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What do you mean it is not about the rules? But I LIKE rules.
    I am definitely a rule follower. However, I understand the context that Neil is speaking about in today’s devotional. Don’t put the letter of the law over the spirit of the law.
    I like what Neil said “The laws of God are liberating and protective.” I love learning tidbits each day about God’s personality.

    Liberating – set free from bandage
    Protect - to defend or guard from attack, invasion, loss, annoyance, insult, etc.; cover or shield from injury or danger.

    Both of those words sound so beautiful to me. I know we have been set free from the bondage of sin because Jesus paid the debt of our sin with His life. I identify with wanting to be free from attack, invasion, and insult. That sentence is very powerful to me and I am so thankful today for being able to focus on this aspect of God and how much He loves me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "The laws of God are liberating and protective. They are restrictive only when they protect us from the evil one."

    I am still amazed by the number of people who think "being a Christian" is restrictive, boring, lifeless and dull. God's law liberates us from the physical, mental and spiritual damage we will inflict on ourselves if we frolick in sin. God's law is like the SPF 60 sunblock that protects us from the damaging, cancerous sin rays that emit form the enemy and our own sin-inclined hearts. Thank you, Lord for your law, and for its care and protection for me!

    ReplyDelete

About Me

I've been a teacher, a church administrator, and currently I'm an at-home mommy, which is my most challenging assignment yet. My home church is WellSpring - it's where my heart is, where my family is. I'm so grateful to God for His work in me and the people He's allowed me to share life with.