welcome to connect: project 2011

This blog is a project I'm undertaking for 2011... Why don't you join me?

The goal is to spend a little time each day reading from a devotional book, Daily in Christ by Neil T. Anderson, and connecting with people via blog post and comments.

Don't have the book yet? You can find it on Amazon, or you can read the daily post at:
www.crosswalk.com/devotionals/dailyinchrist

Why would we do this? For me, it's to reinforce a habit I need, to own my own faith, to connect with God and what He's saying to me, and to connect with people who are hungry to know God more...

Your reasons might be some of the same as mine.

The more folks read and comment, the richer the experience will be. Join the discussion!

Saturday, January 29, 2011

January 29, 2011


Spiritual authority

Another post on spiritual powers…  Today, I found myself wondering why all the focus on spiritual warfare.  Aren’t we supposed to focus on what we should be doing – loving others, telling folks about Jesus, etc.? 

Thinking it through, here’s what I came up with…  The purpose of this book, as evidenced in the title, is to teach us who we are in Christ.  What we do will flow out from who we are.  Our effectiveness as Christians, then, depends on our understanding of what has been given to us because we now belong to God.

Near the beginning of January, I compared being a child of God to being royalty.  Because of a king or queen’s position, certain things are already in place – they don’t have to strive for income, respect, security or authority.  Don’t ask about their love lives – that’s where the illustration wears a little think.

But in terms of authority, a king or queen is absolute in their kingdom.  I need to keep that picture in my head when it comes to spiritual stuff.

Even having grown up in the church, I still feel like I’m going to get the cooties if I mention the devil or demons, let alone have an encounter with them.  It’s human nature to fear what is unknown.  And oh, yeah, evil.

But Neil says, In Christ you have every resource to defuse and dispel any threat of darkness in your life or family.

My authority in the spiritual kingdom is based on the fact that I’m the daughter of the King, not my performance or knowledge. 

My prayer today is that God allows us to grasp more fully the authority He has given to us because we belong to Him, and that the understanding would translate in to action.  

3 comments:

  1. Neil asks “does the spread of New Age and the occult scare you, it shouldn’t.” That is good news. He then reminds me I have every resource to protect myself and my family though the power given to me through the word of God. I guess Neil keeps talking about this subject of demons and Satan so I will remember they are real even though I cannot see them and I should not let my guard down because that is when they have their power. I have the power to drive them away and this power is Christ.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just as his stories start to creap my out, Neil reminds me that I have nothing to worry about! And every time I find myself thinking oh yeah I knew that!

    I have the power of Gods love and authority and I should not forget that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Does the spread of New Age and the occult worry you or frighten you? It need not. In Christ you have every resource to defuse and dispel any threat of darkness in your life or family." "Keep me alert today, Lord, to inroads the devil is attempting in my world that I may tear down his strongholds with the weapons of the Spirit."

    The key for me is to be alert--I don't need to be worried or fearful, but I also cannot let my guard down. I need to monitor all the things that come into my mind, my home and may come to attack my family. I also think we need to be alert as a church--the enemy will continue to try to make inroads to our body to divide us and turn us against each other. We need to continue to pray, both individually and corporately, for protection for our family and church, and use the weapons that the Holy Spirit gives us, because "the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds.” (2 Corinthians 10:4).

    ReplyDelete

About Me

I've been a teacher, a church administrator, and currently I'm an at-home mommy, which is my most challenging assignment yet. My home church is WellSpring - it's where my heart is, where my family is. I'm so grateful to God for His work in me and the people He's allowed me to share life with.