welcome to connect: project 2011

This blog is a project I'm undertaking for 2011... Why don't you join me?

The goal is to spend a little time each day reading from a devotional book, Daily in Christ by Neil T. Anderson, and connecting with people via blog post and comments.

Don't have the book yet? You can find it on Amazon, or you can read the daily post at:
www.crosswalk.com/devotionals/dailyinchrist

Why would we do this? For me, it's to reinforce a habit I need, to own my own faith, to connect with God and what He's saying to me, and to connect with people who are hungry to know God more...

Your reasons might be some of the same as mine.

The more folks read and comment, the richer the experience will be. Join the discussion!

Sunday, January 16, 2011

January 16, 2011


Body and spirit

How very simple:  life means to unite, and death means to separate.  That works both in the sense that Neil is talking about – when we’re alive, our body is united with our spirit and when we die, not so much – and also in the sense that as we’re alive, we’re together with family and loved ones.  In death, a person’s spirit (their true identity) becomes separated from them, along with their physical body.

As I read the first part of today’s entry, I was thinking very deep and profound things about the nature of the relationship between our spirit and our body.  And then I got to the end, and he says, So hey – take care of yourself!  You need your body!  I had to laugh at myself. 

I suppose there’s a spectrum here…  On one end, you’ve got people who are all about the body (they spend lots of time at the gym and Whole Foods).  At the other end are people who are clueless about the body because they’re so spiritually minded.  There’s lots of middle ground; Neil’s point is that we stay in the middle, not giving too much or (too little) attention to either. 

My tendency is to feel vain when I worry about what’s on the outside of me, and I tend not to take very good care of myself.  I write it off as a mom thing (I don’t have time!), but the bottom line is a lack of discipline.  It’s more fun to stay up late than to get a good amount of rest.  It’s easier to take on a new project than to spend time exercising.  But poor self-care is not a godly quality, and I’m feeling challenged to make some improvements.

Come to think of it, it would have been easier if today’s topic was strictly theological!  

3 comments:

  1. Neil ended with the simple message to take care of our Earth suit. I like to think of my efforts to stay healthy as taking care of God's temple. We take care of our church buildings so they will not only last longer, but so they look presentable as well.

    I think taking care of our bodies is good stewardship of our time on Earth. Allowing God time to work in and through us all the plans He has for us. I honestly don't want to stay here any longer than necessary, but I really do want to hear "Well done" when I get to heaven and how can that be true if I am self destructing my body by not caring for it now.

    Everything in balance. Don't worry about finding me at Gold's gym any time soon. The little exercise room at work is good enough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow this one is hard. I need to be more like Paul in Corinthians when he said “I beat my body and make it my slave” that sounds much more disciplined than what I have let my body become over the years.
    It is lack of discipline and I have been convicted with this one to do better.
    Nothing flowery to say on this one, I sometimes forget that the Holy Spirit dwells within us and this body is not ours but His.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "In order to fulfill your purpose for being here, you need to manage your body well through exercise, balanced diet and adequate rest."

    Two things that are resonating-- 1) mismanagement of my physical body leads to a diminishing of purpose--By allowing a few extra pounds and inadequate sleep to remain in my life, I am not as effective in my purpose. God help me to be more disciplined in my eating habits and sleeping habits.
    2) A balanced diet is easy to talk about and promise--but is hard for me to do! I love food and sweets, and need to continue to eat the right foods and limit sweets. God help me be more disciplined when it comes to eating!

    ReplyDelete

About Me

I've been a teacher, a church administrator, and currently I'm an at-home mommy, which is my most challenging assignment yet. My home church is WellSpring - it's where my heart is, where my family is. I'm so grateful to God for His work in me and the people He's allowed me to share life with.