welcome to connect: project 2011

This blog is a project I'm undertaking for 2011... Why don't you join me?

The goal is to spend a little time each day reading from a devotional book, Daily in Christ by Neil T. Anderson, and connecting with people via blog post and comments.

Don't have the book yet? You can find it on Amazon, or you can read the daily post at:
www.crosswalk.com/devotionals/dailyinchrist

Why would we do this? For me, it's to reinforce a habit I need, to own my own faith, to connect with God and what He's saying to me, and to connect with people who are hungry to know God more...

Your reasons might be some of the same as mine.

The more folks read and comment, the richer the experience will be. Join the discussion!

Monday, January 10, 2011

January 10, 2011


False teachers

What an interesting description of a false teacher – it isn’t necessarily what he or she is teaching that’s false.  It’s they, themselves, who are false.  In other words, we are to evaluate our leaders as we follow them, not to criticize or second-guess (which involve huge amounts of pride), but to discern their heart and motives. 

And more than that, it’s our own motives we must discern, right?  We must understand why we are at a certain church or follow a certain leader; is it because they seem to have it all going on, or because God has called us to follow them?

Where are you called?  There are plenty of folks around who float from one church to the next, and their criteria often belies a lack of honest seeking…  For this reason or that, they change churches.  A mature Christian seeks God, and doesn’t move unless God directs, and only then to the place where they are called. 

Neil identifies a Christian leader as committed to truth, living a righteous life, and having a servant’s heart.  This is how I can know whether someone is a false teacher.  More than that, these are to be the markers of my life…

3 comments:

  1. Amen, I agree with Michele. These are to be the markers of my life… Committed to truth, live a righteous life, and have a servant’s heart.

    It is important for me to be reminded to be watchful for these false teachers as well. On a superficial level it can be easy to fall for a false teacher’s sensuality or their ease of speech. If I continually check for those markers I will have less of a chance of being fooled. I must check my own heart and make sure I am doing things for an audience of one, that will keep me from becoming a false teacher as Peter talks about in 2 Peter 2.

    ReplyDelete
  2. something Neil did not mention outright but really comes with being a "TRUE" teacher is transparency. It is a good sign when a leader is transparent and genuine in their relationships. Not that transparency guarantees someone is not a false teacher just harder to be fake and see thru at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "What does Peter mean by "follow their sensuality"? He is talking about Christians who evaluate a ministry based on the outward appearance and charm of its leaders." " A Christian leader should be identified by his commitment to the truth, his righteous life and his servant's heart."

    I want to be an honest leader--I do not want to evaluate what I do ministry wise to be based on charm or appearance. Jesus, I need your help to be committed to the truth, to live a righteous life and to ALWAYS have a servant's heart. (I believe this three-fold challenge is a main reason why so few people in body of Christ pursue leadership--it is a high call and a great challenge!!)

    ReplyDelete

About Me

I've been a teacher, a church administrator, and currently I'm an at-home mommy, which is my most challenging assignment yet. My home church is WellSpring - it's where my heart is, where my family is. I'm so grateful to God for His work in me and the people He's allowed me to share life with.