welcome to connect: project 2011

This blog is a project I'm undertaking for 2011... Why don't you join me?

The goal is to spend a little time each day reading from a devotional book, Daily in Christ by Neil T. Anderson, and connecting with people via blog post and comments.

Don't have the book yet? You can find it on Amazon, or you can read the daily post at:
www.crosswalk.com/devotionals/dailyinchrist

Why would we do this? For me, it's to reinforce a habit I need, to own my own faith, to connect with God and what He's saying to me, and to connect with people who are hungry to know God more...

Your reasons might be some of the same as mine.

The more folks read and comment, the richer the experience will be. Join the discussion!

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

January 11, 2011

Walking in the Spirit

First, I love that we get to have ambitions in our walk with Christ.  I love that we get to want to be the really, really big bulldozers…  That’s a good thing.  We start out as a wimpy lawn mower, but we have such potential! 

Walking in the Spirit – what is that, exactly?  It has to do with the choices we make each day, each moment.  We are provided with multitudes of choices every day – in what we think, in what we say, and in what we do.  It has to do with who we are listening to…

Our default was the flesh; before letting God be in charge, we pretty much looked out for ourselves.  Selfishness is easy for us!  But the longer we walk with the Lord, and the more mature we become, we find the ability to say no to ourselves and yes to loving and responsible actions, thoughts, and words.

I loved the clarification that the Holy Spirit is a person, not a thing, hence His dealings with us will be different for each person.  What an awesome God we have!  It is only the Holy Spirit within us who can make the change in our default settings from selfish to God-centered and loving. 

May we walk forward in that endeavor today…  

4 comments:

  1. Spring loaded. I love that picture. Now I realize that this will be way different than most may look at today's reading. But in my profession of choice, one of my most powerful tools I carry has a significant reliance on springs.

    Without a spring in the slide, a gun would only be a one shot wonder. The spring in the slide causes the slide to quickly move back into position. As the slide moves back into position, it grabs the next round sitting on top of the magazine (which too is spring loaded and pushes up the next round until empty) and loads it in the chamber. The gun is now ready to fire once again.

    Without springs, all I would be carrying on my hip would be an oversized paper weight.

    Ok, enough of the over simplified gun lesson. How does this fit in today's reading you may be wondering? For a mature follower of Christ, we are called to live for Him daily. We aren't called to be one shot wonders for the kingdom.

    Daily (and most often multiple times in a day) we need to be "loaded" and prepared to respond to the Holy Spirit's guidance, direction and nudging.

    Holy Spirit, help me to be able to remain loaded for you daily by dying to my flesh and choosing the Father's way over my own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes I wish my default setting was not self centered, but God centered. I would have less hard lessons to learn, but I will take the lessons knowing that I am getting to know God better. For me it has been the hardest lessons that bring me closest to Him. I know I have a lot of lawns to mow with my little gas mower, but I am looking to upgrade to a John Deer ride on mower!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "If you re hoping for a magic formula or a list of foolproof steps for walking in the Spirit, you will be disappointed. The moment you reduce the Spirit-filled walk to a formula or an intellectual exercise, you probably won't be Spirit-filled anymore."

    "The Holy Spirit is a "He," not an "it." Our walk with God is a personal experience, not a mechanical or legalistic formula."

    Why do we as humans always try to fit God into a box of ritual and formula? God desires a dynamic relationship that we live out daily with him-- A formulaic life would be like Bill Murray in "Groundhog Day"- repetitive, boring, predictable, and eventually lifeless!! God, help me to stay away from a ritualistic, mindless service and/or relationship with you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Guns, John Deere mowers, and Groundhog Day... I love reading comments! It's always amazing to me how God does things. He takes something we read, something we really already know and want, and uses it to make us want it even more - a closer walk with Him, a more obedient life, more of the Holy Spirit in our lives... His Word is amazing.

    Thanks John, Pattie & Coop for your insights!

    ReplyDelete

About Me

I've been a teacher, a church administrator, and currently I'm an at-home mommy, which is my most challenging assignment yet. My home church is WellSpring - it's where my heart is, where my family is. I'm so grateful to God for His work in me and the people He's allowed me to share life with.