welcome to connect: project 2011

This blog is a project I'm undertaking for 2011... Why don't you join me?

The goal is to spend a little time each day reading from a devotional book, Daily in Christ by Neil T. Anderson, and connecting with people via blog post and comments.

Don't have the book yet? You can find it on Amazon, or you can read the daily post at:
www.crosswalk.com/devotionals/dailyinchrist

Why would we do this? For me, it's to reinforce a habit I need, to own my own faith, to connect with God and what He's saying to me, and to connect with people who are hungry to know God more...

Your reasons might be some of the same as mine.

The more folks read and comment, the richer the experience will be. Join the discussion!

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

January 18, 2011


Adam and zombies

If you could sit down and talk to Adam, face to face, what would you say? 

I’ve heard from friends that given the opportunity, a good head-slap would be in order:  Adam, what’s up?  All you had to do was one thing – stay away from that tree!  Pretty simple, right?  And you messed it up for all humanity!

For all the truth there may be in there, I was struck again tonight by how the story of Adam is the story of us all…  He had everything, was asked to obey in one matter, and threw it all away in an act of disobedience. 

Before I get on my high horse and, well, think mean thoughts about Adam and what an idiot he was, I get that if it were me, I would have done the same thing.  Really, I’m glad I wasn’t the one in the garden. 

And in addition to being the one that people throughout time point to as the cause of pain and suffering, Adam had it even worse – he knew what it was to walk with God in the garden.  We can only imagine what it was like, but Adam mourned that loss for the rest of his life, I’m sure.  

So because of Adam, basically, we’re all zombies.  The walking dead.  Wait, I think I just grossed myself out.  But it’s quite a picture!  Anyway, because of Jesus’ sacrifice on the cross, we are transformed back into beings that are alive both spiritually and physically. 

The zombie imagery (sorry!) motivates me in this way:  I get lulled into thinking that my relatives, neighbors and friends who don’t know Christ are really nice people, and are basically the same as me, without that final step of receiving God’s forgiveness, when in reality, they are spiritually dead inside, regardless of how they look on the outside. 

I’m so grateful to have been saved by Jesus’ sacrifice, and I’m compelled to reach out to those who need that same transforming life.   

4 comments:

  1. "I came that they might have life" (John 10:10)
    I am so glad that I didn't have to be a zombie for ever, yet as you stated, we get so comfortable in life, so self absorbed with our own stuff that we don't see those around us...the walking dead. Father help me to look up and notice those around me that need your life, amen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember learning in our leadership class, a year or so ago, that through the sin of one man we lost salvation, and through the sacrifice of one innocent man we gained salvation. It really struck me then and it really strikes me now. Jesus took the sin of the world on Himself so that I could have a relationship with His father! Wow. Jesus knew about my sins before I committed them and He still died to forgive me. I had a tough time wrapping my head around that one, but I am so thankful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Thank You, heavenly Father, for sending Jesus to die on the cross for my sins and then raising Him from the dead so I may have life."

    What a powerful prayer and witnessing statement. I am convinced that this prayer, and the Bridge illustration (we are separated from God by our sin, Jesus provided the bridge back to God by dying on the cross) are simple and powerful ways to share Jesus with others. And, as if redemption itself were not enough, we are given new life not only now but for all eternity!! What a mighty, awesome, incredible God we serve!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amen to what John P said. Lord help me too see my unsaved friends as zombies that need to be rescued by Your love and grace.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

I've been a teacher, a church administrator, and currently I'm an at-home mommy, which is my most challenging assignment yet. My home church is WellSpring - it's where my heart is, where my family is. I'm so grateful to God for His work in me and the people He's allowed me to share life with.