welcome to connect: project 2011

This blog is a project I'm undertaking for 2011... Why don't you join me?

The goal is to spend a little time each day reading from a devotional book, Daily in Christ by Neil T. Anderson, and connecting with people via blog post and comments.

Don't have the book yet? You can find it on Amazon, or you can read the daily post at:
www.crosswalk.com/devotionals/dailyinchrist

Why would we do this? For me, it's to reinforce a habit I need, to own my own faith, to connect with God and what He's saying to me, and to connect with people who are hungry to know God more...

Your reasons might be some of the same as mine.

The more folks read and comment, the richer the experience will be. Join the discussion!

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

January 20, 2011


God's will

Wow…  Sometimes, I try hard to figure something out, when I should just accept that it’s deep, it’s true, and that I’m not really going to grasp it. 

What a simple thing, that the thing we have to do to find out God’s will is just to be willing to do whatever it is!  That should be a piece of cake, right?

The bad news is that it is the same old struggle I have:  I want to be the boss of me.  Seems petty, but sin is basically selfishness, putting myself above others, getting my own way… 

Having kids, this gets played out for me every day. 

Mommy:  Please take your clothes and put them in the laundry basket.
Child:  No, but I wanted to read this book first instead.

It’s amazing – they always have a better idea for what they should be doing at any moment in time, and the willfulness ranges from mild opposition to full-blown defiance. 

How many times do I tell my Heavenly Father (with actions, if not with words), I’ve got a better idea…  Or, I’m not gonna! 

But the good news is that this deal isn’t based on my performance, it’s based on my willingness.  God knows my heart!  If I’m honestly trying to please Him, but I make an honest mistake, that fact that I was trying to please Him pleases Him.  (I may have just confused myself…)

When I was in youth group or college class, we talked about wanting to know God’s will for our lives, and not wanting to miss out on it, as if God's will was one particular set destiny for our lives.  Mostly, I think we were concerned with who to date or marry, but careers and other life choices factored in, too.  Looking back, I think we put a lot of unnecessary pressure on ourselves.

It turns out that the will of God is something we get a little at a time, and the way I’ll know it is to keep my heart right before Him.  

5 comments:

  1. I think that if I really grasped and truly understood Gods love for me, I wouldn't be trying so hard to figure out "Gods will". I would be able to trust him completely as I walked out His will for me with the little revelations as they come.
    It's like you said Michele; "we get it a little at a time"


    I mean after all when someone loves you as much as God does you can trust that no matter what His will is, it will be a good thing for you.

    It sounds good on paper.

    And yet sometimes I have a hard time truly believing that. I want to know ahead of time how it all works out in the end...why?

    Because when I boil it down I'm looking to see if God really does have my best interest in mind. Ouch, I either don't trust Him as I much as I thought or I just want it my own way.
    (Sigh)

    None of these are the response I would want to give, but I am painfully aware at how often that my heart attitude reflects just that.

    When I Trust God, when I surrender my will to His, this is where I find real peace and meaning in life.

    I long to be able to say with confidence, not my will but yours be done. Not as some religious statement, but as a heartfelt statement of faith in a loving God whom I can put all of my trust into.

    Romans 12:1-2

    "I appeal to you therefore, brothers,by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship. Do not be conformed to this world,but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect."

    It is a process and a struggle, a battle to which I have committed myself to. The good news is that I am not alone, for "He will never leave me or forsake me"
    And knowing that He is right here with me as I struggle with the issues of a life committed to following Jesus Christ doesn't necessarily make it any easier, but it does make it obtainable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. God’s will sounds all warm and fuzzy at first glance, He has a plan for me and He loves me and so I picture all these wonderful things and an easy pre-planned path from God. But I have to remember God’s will is not for my comfort, but for my growth, to make me become more like Him. When I look at Jesus and how He was sent to earth to pave a wave for me to live in freedom from sin and I think about how He was treated. I deserve those things not Him, I am the sinner. He was made fun of and laughed at for telling people He was God’s son, He was abandoned by His close friends at His time of need, and He was tortured and murdered. When I think of this it is easier to see why I suffer pain and loss, because God has a plan for me and this is part of His plan. I may not know it at the time or it may be too hard to wrap my head around it but He is refining me through the fire.

    1 Peter 1:6-7
    In all this you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while you may have had to suffer grief in all kinds of trials. These have come so that the proven genuineness of your faith—of greater worth than gold, which perishes even though refined by fire—may result in praise, glory and honor when Jesus Christ is revealed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Total trust, John, and being willing to suffer and be mistreated, Pattie - your posts are really striking a chord in me today.

    Thanks so much for taking the time to write!
    -mj

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amen to both John and Pattie's comments. As I read John's I found myself agreeing with this part

    Because when I boil it down I'm looking to see if God really does have my best interest in mind. Ouch, I either don't trust Him as I much as I thought or I just want it my own way.
    (Sigh)

    and then I realized - oops! That is not the "right" answer, but I find myself stopping the mental conversation before I finally get to that conclusion. Meaning I distract myself with other stuff so I don't realize how often I am not REALLY trusting that God's love is perfect and He loves me way too much to leave me as I am.

    Hmmm. lots to ponder...

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Are you totally committed to do God's will without knowing for sure what it is?" Aye, there's the rub-- this reminds me of the reading we had on Jan 1-- can we trust God when we don't see where we are going? God can see it ALL-- I only know my limited perspective, yet I want the God of the universe to reveal His plan to me. Then I can feel comfortable with where I am going, because I can see it! The question remains: will I choose to trust God at all times, or will I choose to put my faith in a destination or journey instead of Him? I want to live out the following phrase sung by Rich Mullins "And step by step you'll lead me, and I will follow you all of my days!"

    "If God is God and you call Him Lord, doesn't He have the right to exercise His will in your life?" Lord, I pray the same prayer that Jesus did--Not my will but your will be done in my life. Help me get myself out of your way, and help me trust you to lead me step by step every day!!

    ReplyDelete

About Me

I've been a teacher, a church administrator, and currently I'm an at-home mommy, which is my most challenging assignment yet. My home church is WellSpring - it's where my heart is, where my family is. I'm so grateful to God for His work in me and the people He's allowed me to share life with.