welcome to connect: project 2011

This blog is a project I'm undertaking for 2011... Why don't you join me?

The goal is to spend a little time each day reading from a devotional book, Daily in Christ by Neil T. Anderson, and connecting with people via blog post and comments.

Don't have the book yet? You can find it on Amazon, or you can read the daily post at:
www.crosswalk.com/devotionals/dailyinchrist

Why would we do this? For me, it's to reinforce a habit I need, to own my own faith, to connect with God and what He's saying to me, and to connect with people who are hungry to know God more...

Your reasons might be some of the same as mine.

The more folks read and comment, the richer the experience will be. Join the discussion!

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

January 25, 2011


One more on spiritual warfare

Hang in there – tomorrow, the topic changes, but we’re still on the tough subject of spiritual warfare.  I was amazed at the story of Daisy and the simplicity with which she was able to do battle in the name of Jesus.

The imagery of pulling the covers over one’s head (like the spiritual ostrich) challenges me to be willing to look for the spiritual causes behind events in my world.  But not in a weird way.

Several years after Loren and I got married, he had to take a business trip to Japan.  It was a week-long trip, before texting or even email, really (but they did have airplanes!), so that week was one of the longest of my life.  I’m a big baby when I have to be alone.

And sure enough, on one of the first few nights he was gone, I was awakened from a sound sleep by the sound of someone pounding on my front door.  I was terrified.  (Sound sleep, remember?  Don’t judge me.)  Eventually, I got the nerve to go and look to see what was going on, and of course, I saw nothing. 

Did I dream the noise?  Had the friend of a neighbor had one too many and came to the wrong house?  Usually, bad people looking to break into a house don’t announce their intention with loud knocking, I reasoned.

Then I prayed, kind of fiercely, Lord, I know there’s an angel – at least one – who’s 20 or 30 feet tall, guarding the edges of our property.  Please show that angel to whoever is out there, if there is anyone. 

And in that moment, God gave me the picture I was asking to send to the bad guy – I imagined the angel God had protecting me, and it wasn’t just a nice thought – I understood that it was reality.  Because of that grace to me in that moment, I fell right back to sleep and have not had an experience like that since.

The spiritual world intersects with the natural one all the time.  With an understanding of the power that we’ve been given by the blood of Jesus, we don’t have to live in fear or under oppression of any kind. 

My prayer today is that we all might have an open mind, an open heart, and better vision.

5 comments:

  1. The last two readings served as very good book ends. I'm glad Neil didn't just leave this topic with yesterday's reading alone. Michele, thank you for engaging and leading in these two. You really helped unpack this in a more manageable way. Oh, and BTW, in my perfect world, the bad guys would knock loudly announcing their presence. I mean, if they want do to this, than let's do it!!! Bring it!! Sorry, that wasn't suppose to be said out loud!

    The spiritual world is far more real than the shadows we see dimmly on the back of the cave wall we call earth. There is a very real war going on all around us. Fortunately, we know how it ends!

    I think the most powerful concept I found in the last two readings is this qoute from Neil today,"... it's a matter of your position in Christ." That is awesome! Our power, our victory, all boils down to Jesus' work on the cross and the inherited position we as christians now have.

    So when the enemy presses in, it's really cool to be able to say, "Oh Yeah, well my big brother can beat you up."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the heads up Michele! I was starting to wonder what I got myself into since I just started following your blog on Sunday! LOL! But really, I am enjoying being in God's word more often.

    It's been a strugle for me to be in the word pretty much all my life. The intent is always there and I do read but not consistantly.

    So yes Lord, let me have an open mind and heart, clearer vision, and not to mention better hearing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad that we don't have to fight these battles on our own.

    I am even happier that Jesus has already defeated satan, sometimes we just need to remind him of that fact.(and ourselves as well)

    I like Neils last statement:

    "Resisting the devil is your responsibility based on the authority you possess in Christ."

    We can't forget that although the battle has been won, and our enemy is defeated, we have a part to play in it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like being reminded that it is not about where my maturity level is I can still tell the devil to get away and will flee. That much power is already bestowed upon me just for being one in Christ. This also helps me think of all the other things I can do if my faith is great enough, you know move a mountain or two…

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Resisting the devil is your responsibility based on the authority you possess in Christ."

    As sons and daughters of God, we often think that resisting the devil is someone else's job. While it would be great to leave the job of "spiritual resistance and enforcement" to people like Johnny, we have been given the authority that comes through the name of Jesus to resist the devil. We have the responsibility to pray and submit ourselves to God daily-- when we do this, we are reminded of our authority and encouraged to stand in the armor God gives us and resist the enemy. James 4:7 "Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you."

    ReplyDelete

About Me

I've been a teacher, a church administrator, and currently I'm an at-home mommy, which is my most challenging assignment yet. My home church is WellSpring - it's where my heart is, where my family is. I'm so grateful to God for His work in me and the people He's allowed me to share life with.