welcome to connect: project 2011

This blog is a project I'm undertaking for 2011... Why don't you join me?

The goal is to spend a little time each day reading from a devotional book, Daily in Christ by Neil T. Anderson, and connecting with people via blog post and comments.

Don't have the book yet? You can find it on Amazon, or you can read the daily post at:
www.crosswalk.com/devotionals/dailyinchrist

Why would we do this? For me, it's to reinforce a habit I need, to own my own faith, to connect with God and what He's saying to me, and to connect with people who are hungry to know God more...

Your reasons might be some of the same as mine.

The more folks read and comment, the richer the experience will be. Join the discussion!

Monday, January 3, 2011

January 3, 2011

Goals and desires

Did today’s entry seem a little bit confusing?  Hang in there. 

Here’s one idea to take away…

January usually finds us evaluating the past year and setting priorities for the new year.  Whether you call them New Years’ resolutions or not, the idea’s the same – we’re figuring out what we want to accomplish.

So the discussion of what’s a goal and what’s a desire is a pretty good one.  It goes like this…  A goal is something that has to do with thing I can control.  For example, I can control what I eat, what I read, how I speak to people and what I think about (among other things).  I can set goals for these things, and I can actually meet those goals, if I put in the work.

Examples of things that are out of my control are people and circumstances.  It would be a bad idea for me to set a goal of having our family get along better, or for improved relationship with a co-worker or a boss.  I can do my part, but if they don’t cooperate, I won’t meet that goal. 

In the same way, I can make it a goal to buy a house or get accepted into a program at a school or to win the lottery, but there are forces beyond my control at work.  I’ll be frustrated, anxious, even angry if someone or something blocks my goal, right?  (Picture a soccer ball being smacked down by a goalie...)

So for the things that are beyond my control – all or in part – I need to call them what they are.  They are desires.  I will still work hard for them, but I’ll be able to have a more reasonable reaction if my desires aren’t met, right? 

A goal is almost like an ultimatum.  Progress is good, but either I’ve met it or I haven’t, right? 

I’m challenged to re-evaluate my goals for this year and see which ones are beyond my control.  It’s all about the expectations.

I’m so thankful for Philippians 1:6:  And I am sure that God, who began the good work within you, will continue His work until it is finally finished on that day when Christ Jesus comes back again.

4 comments:

  1. "Don't be blocking my goal!" As soon as I read Neil's devotional I was mentally transported the the Freedom in Christ seminar I went to like 15 years ago. Learning the correct and Godly definition of goal was and still is freeing for me. I honestly forgot it and today am reminded afresh. So, with that in mind I have many goals that need to be downsized to desires. When I do that I will live daily with less frustration at all those people and things that are "blocking my goal" oops! cuz now they are just desires and it is OK to be blocked.

    Loren's Goals (at least a start...)
    Connect with God daily
    Love my wife extravagantly (not that hard actually)
    Love my kids fully ( a little harder)
    Love my friends and all those "other people" I am in contact with here on Earth the same way Jesus did. ( a lot harder)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Michele for making today’s journal entry a lot easier to understand.

    Goal- we can control, Desire- work hard to change, but not all ours to control.

    2 Corinthians 5:9 reminds me:
    So we make it our goal to please him, whether we are at home in the body or away from it.

    My prayer for this year is for God to show me His purposes that I can make them my goals.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And I thought I was just playing my music too loud to conscentrate when I first read it. Glad I'm not the only one.

    What really hit home for me was the statement that only I could stand in the way of a Godly goal being realized in my life. The last few days, my prayer for 2011 has been that the Holy Spirit would show me those attitudes, habits, thought patterns, actions that would block God's purposes in my life. I have specifically being praying that this year, I would be able to stay out of God's way in my life.

    Imagine the reinforcement of that when the first daily devotional I read has that same statement in the first paragraph!

    He sure does have a way of reinforcing His message to us, doesn't He?

    ReplyDelete
  4. "When people or circumstances block our goals, we get angry. If our mentally perceived goal is uncertain, we feel anxious. If the goal appears impossible, we get depressed." I don't get angry as much as I get frustrated-I am realizing that my "Godly goal" of having all the church things I oversee run just for a "little while" without my care and maintenance is not a Godly goal or desire...it is laziness!! God, help me cut out the slothful spirit that interferes with me leading effectively!

    "With God all things are possible, and I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. No one can keep us from being what God wants us to be except us." I completely relate and agree with Johnny. How many times do I forget that I can do all things THROUGH CHRIST who strengthens me?? God help me remember to get out of your way and allow you to continue working in and through me in 2011!

    ReplyDelete

About Me

I've been a teacher, a church administrator, and currently I'm an at-home mommy, which is my most challenging assignment yet. My home church is WellSpring - it's where my heart is, where my family is. I'm so grateful to God for His work in me and the people He's allowed me to share life with.