welcome to connect: project 2011

This blog is a project I'm undertaking for 2011... Why don't you join me?

The goal is to spend a little time each day reading from a devotional book, Daily in Christ by Neil T. Anderson, and connecting with people via blog post and comments.

Don't have the book yet? You can find it on Amazon, or you can read the daily post at:
www.crosswalk.com/devotionals/dailyinchrist

Why would we do this? For me, it's to reinforce a habit I need, to own my own faith, to connect with God and what He's saying to me, and to connect with people who are hungry to know God more...

Your reasons might be some of the same as mine.

The more folks read and comment, the richer the experience will be. Join the discussion!

Monday, February 7, 2011

February 7, 2011


Pushing the limits

Have you ever taken one of those personality tests?  You’re a lion or a golden retriever; you’re a letter of the alphabet from a DISC profile (anyone guess which I am?  …the one that doesn’t remember the categories, of course!); you’re random or you’re a linear thinker…  Any of those sound familiar?

And one helpful section, at least on the DISC test, is the part where they talk about your personality traits.  They diplomatically phrase things like this:  Here’s your wonderful trait.  It’s all good, but some people may perceive you like this…  And you should be careful, because taken too far, that thing that’s fine and dandy can turn into this [insert bad thing]!  Note:  don’t feed it after midnight.

Because I’m a risk-taker by nature, I’m pretty familiar with the concept of taking things too far.  I’ve been practicing it all my life.  DISC stuff has told me that without risk-takers, new things don’t happen.  But I also know from experience that it really hurts when you’ve climbed too high in that tree and fall, or when you venture out into something you’re passionate about and you fail. 

In other words, risk:  Good.  Usually. 
Taking things too far:  Bad. 

Are you a risk-taker?  Do you tend to push the limits?  If you don’t happen to be, did you find yourself somewhere on that list?  Please weigh in.

3 comments:

  1. Ok that paragraph from Neil, with punctuation, was hard to read.
    Some of the items listed have a very gray line for me, like loving-kindness becomes overprotection. I am guilty of this for sure, but not sure where it becomes bad exactly.
    But generosity becomes wastefulness and self-care becomes selfishness are two I have a hard time seeing one becoming the other. Michele - maybe that is why you chose to talk about the personality styles.

    So my style is (of course) DISC letter "C" Conscientious: People with "C" styles adhere to rules, regulations, and structure. Oh ya right here they got me...
    They like to do quality work and do it right the first time. "C" people are careful, cautious, exacting, neat, systematic, diplomatic, accurate, and tactful. And to be fair the bad things are they get bogged down in details, become stubborn, not me ;) and can be overly critical.
    So, no I am not a risk taker and I do not push any limits that I cannot analyze to death first.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was hard to read!

    Pattie, my interpretation of it was if we overprotect our kids we might rob them of experiences that help them grow? Generosity of time or money may start from good place but can it be to our own detriment? Some of us need to learn when to say when. Self-care can turn into vanity which in turn can result in selfishness.

    That's just what I got out of it. I thought I would share!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brandy - thanks.
    OK, now I can picture the extreme of giving away too much money and time would make you poor.

    It is funny when I think of some of the very selfish people I know and I could describe them as vain, I just was not seeing it as self-care. I get the path now. Thanks for the explanation.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

I've been a teacher, a church administrator, and currently I'm an at-home mommy, which is my most challenging assignment yet. My home church is WellSpring - it's where my heart is, where my family is. I'm so grateful to God for His work in me and the people He's allowed me to share life with.