welcome to connect: project 2011

This blog is a project I'm undertaking for 2011... Why don't you join me?

The goal is to spend a little time each day reading from a devotional book, Daily in Christ by Neil T. Anderson, and connecting with people via blog post and comments.

Don't have the book yet? You can find it on Amazon, or you can read the daily post at:
www.crosswalk.com/devotionals/dailyinchrist

Why would we do this? For me, it's to reinforce a habit I need, to own my own faith, to connect with God and what He's saying to me, and to connect with people who are hungry to know God more...

Your reasons might be some of the same as mine.

The more folks read and comment, the richer the experience will be. Join the discussion!

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

February 22, 2011


The lamp and the farm

First, the lamp…  While Neil got a little wordy in the middle of the paragraph on tending the lamp, the heart of it (for me) was this:  The light dims when we stay away from God’s Word and the fellowship of believers.

If the flashlight I’m using on a dark path in an unfamiliar place (cue scary movie music) does that flicker thing and then goes out, I’m lost!  If it were a real scenario, of course, I’d know I was in trouble, right?  (cue screaming)

The irony is that when I don’t keep the light bright in the spiritual sense, usually I’m oblivious to the fact that I’m tripping merrily down a dangerous path.  With psychos and chainsaws.  Wait, no…

All kidding aside, I can do harm to myself when I let that light go off.  Pretty simple - stay in the word, show up at church (and stay in contact with godly friends).

The metaphor of the farm is, thankfully, less scary.  Being a city girl, I’ll admit I’ve never considered God’s kingdom in quite this way.  Somehow, though, it works…  The idea that what we are sowing in this life will be what we reap in the life to come is profound.  In what sense, I wonder, is that true? 

For sure, lives that I impact on behalf of Christ matter in eternity.  What else?  I’m curious to see if that’s something Neil unpacks for us later, or if it will just hang out there…

To be sure, though, God’s will is made known to us in His word.  I’m so thankful for that!  May we continue in earnest to know His word and to hear His voice through it.

2 comments:

  1. Michele, as one who works in the night, often times going down those same very scary dark paths (only with excitement and adrenaline pumping)you mentioned, trust me when I say never, NEVER carry only one flashlight! Always carry a minimum of 2 (not to mention the flashlight attached to your gun, um...hmmm... got carried away again, didn't I? But then again, why would anyone go down those paths unarmed?!? Aww, I did it again, didn't I?. Stick to my notes!) lights!

    I really enjoyed this statement from Neil: "The lamp flickers when form replaces function and traditions push aside the commandments of God." It reminds me to be who God created me to be, not somebody or something else. It also challenges me to not cling so tightly to those things I am comfortable with. My natural bend is towards being a traditionalist. My desire is to not allow that bend to turn me away from any new thing the Lord would have for me or those around me.

    Lastly, this line, "Yet I wonder how many Christians realize that what they are presently sowing in the kingdom of God is what they will reap for all eternity," reminds me of one of my favorite lines in the cinematic great, "Gladiator". Right before leading the Roman calvary into the flanks of the last Germanic horde, Maximus tells his men, "What we do in life echoes in eternity." Love that!

    Lord, in those things I do, may I do so with purpose. May the lives I touch, become resounding echoes of glory to you for eternity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Neil writes: As a child, I did not struggle with knowing my earthly father’s will. He clearly expressed it to me. I learned early that we lived together peacefully if I was quick to obey. This is so true, even as an adult I live in peace when I am quick to obey God. Sometimes it takes me a couple of times and some pushing but if I want peace I must obey.

    Michele you made a great list! Pretty simple - stay in the word, show up at church (and stay in contact with godly friends).

    I would add, when asked by God to do more, DO IT :)

    ReplyDelete

About Me

I've been a teacher, a church administrator, and currently I'm an at-home mommy, which is my most challenging assignment yet. My home church is WellSpring - it's where my heart is, where my family is. I'm so grateful to God for His work in me and the people He's allowed me to share life with.