welcome to connect: project 2011

This blog is a project I'm undertaking for 2011... Why don't you join me?

The goal is to spend a little time each day reading from a devotional book, Daily in Christ by Neil T. Anderson, and connecting with people via blog post and comments.

Don't have the book yet? You can find it on Amazon, or you can read the daily post at:
www.crosswalk.com/devotionals/dailyinchrist

Why would we do this? For me, it's to reinforce a habit I need, to own my own faith, to connect with God and what He's saying to me, and to connect with people who are hungry to know God more...

Your reasons might be some of the same as mine.

The more folks read and comment, the richer the experience will be. Join the discussion!

Monday, February 28, 2011

February 28, 2011

Belief and behavior

This makes sense to me:  Your belief system determines your behavior.  If I’m driving well over the speed limit and I see a police car zooming up behind me, because I believe I might get pulled over, my behavior will change.  I will slow down. 

There are areas where what I think I believe and what I actually believe (as borne out by my behavior) are two different things.  It’s like the difference between something that’s an actual priority in my life, and something that I wish was a priority.  I may say that exercise is important to me, but unless on my weekly calendar I have time set aside for it, and actually follow through, it isn’t a priority, really.  Just wishful thinking.

I had trouble with the questions Neil listed as far as finding out what motivates me…  I couldn’t tell if I was supposed to be thinking of goals I have, or things I wish I could do or have… 

Thinking of motivation in terms of priorities, though, works for me.  So if that helps you, there you go.  If you can make Neil’s questions work, awesome!

The point of it all is to think through places in my life where what I say I believe is at odds with what I do.  Not only do I need to change my behavior, I also need to search God’s word or ask help from someone older and wiser to find out what God’s heart is on the subject. 

And on the flip side of this, the more I’m in the Bible, and the more I know about God’s ways and who He is and how He works, the more consistently I will be able to overcome sin in my life.

Hebrews 4:12:  For the word of God is full of living power.  It is sharper than the sharpest knife, cutting deep into our innermost thoughts and desires.  It exposes us for what we really are.

2 comments:

  1. I'm trying so hard to aline the two. My heart is in the right place but have you ever wanted something so bad but it feels like no mater how hard you try you just cant atain it?

    Well, sometimes thats how I feel about my faith. I never really lose faith, I just feel like the trials are never ending.

    I just try to keep my head up and push forward with a smile. I always laugh about how wise I will be some day after all I have survived!

    Michele, you have been my counselor today! And that concludes my therapy session today!! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Answering those questions was hard. As long as they don’t come back to food and shelter I answered each of them positively that I am satisfied, fulfilled and happy, however, the hardest one asked was I would be more secure if … I think I tend to worry about my job and that snowballs into then what if what if. So I need to turn it right over to God and let Him help me worry less. I know He has my best in mind.
    I pray I will turn my worries over to God while they are smal so He can work on them for me since He will be up all night anyway!

    ReplyDelete

About Me

I've been a teacher, a church administrator, and currently I'm an at-home mommy, which is my most challenging assignment yet. My home church is WellSpring - it's where my heart is, where my family is. I'm so grateful to God for His work in me and the people He's allowed me to share life with.