welcome to connect: project 2011

This blog is a project I'm undertaking for 2011... Why don't you join me?

The goal is to spend a little time each day reading from a devotional book, Daily in Christ by Neil T. Anderson, and connecting with people via blog post and comments.

Don't have the book yet? You can find it on Amazon, or you can read the daily post at:
www.crosswalk.com/devotionals/dailyinchrist

Why would we do this? For me, it's to reinforce a habit I need, to own my own faith, to connect with God and what He's saying to me, and to connect with people who are hungry to know God more...

Your reasons might be some of the same as mine.

The more folks read and comment, the richer the experience will be. Join the discussion!

Thursday, February 24, 2011

February 24, 2011

Freedom

What does it mean to live in freedom?  I loved the question the kid in religion class asked him!  And I have a hunch that the kid was thinking more about rules about what was allowed and what was not allowed than about the big questions in life!  (At the Christian high school I went to, we weren’t allowed to have dances, officially…)

These are questions of external rules (legalism) vs. making decisions based on my conscience.  And I have a hunch we will revisit the topic of legalism in future days…

Neil had a great definition of freedom:  It means you are finally free to live a responsible, moral life…  We’re out of the realm of what might be okay and what might not be, and into the big questions.  What’s responsible?  What’s moral? 

There’s a line between kid and adult.  Remember high school?  Remember graduation?  It may not be in the same place for every person, but basically, the issue is this:  now that society considers you an adult (more or less), are you ready to act like one?  You don’t necessarily have the constraints of a family to mandate that you act responsibly, and you no longer have your parents to do so (at least, they should back off by this point).  Whatcha gonna do?

In the course of finding our way, many of us in those years made mistakes (and watched as friends went off the deep end), but eventually, we found our way toward responsible adulthood. 

Spiritually, we must come to the same place – where we are willing to set aside the choices that we might be allowed to make because of freedom, but ironically, lead to bondage.  

1 comment:

  1. What does it mean to live in freedom is a huge question. I feel like that kid sometimes, especially when I was younger, “does your church have a lot of don’ts”. Church can feel like that at first until you realize the more you want to know God and please Him the more you want to follow His Spirit and not follow what lead you into bondage to begin with.

    As Michele pointed out we all need to find our own way at some point. At first it is hard and we make a lot of mistakes (I know I did). Keep your eye on the goal and pick yourself up again. I am free to do things my way and I am free to do things God’s way.

    I pray I will always hear and listen to God’s voice and direction in my life. That is the freedom I want.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

I've been a teacher, a church administrator, and currently I'm an at-home mommy, which is my most challenging assignment yet. My home church is WellSpring - it's where my heart is, where my family is. I'm so grateful to God for His work in me and the people He's allowed me to share life with.