welcome to connect: project 2011

This blog is a project I'm undertaking for 2011... Why don't you join me?

The goal is to spend a little time each day reading from a devotional book, Daily in Christ by Neil T. Anderson, and connecting with people via blog post and comments.

Don't have the book yet? You can find it on Amazon, or you can read the daily post at:
www.crosswalk.com/devotionals/dailyinchrist

Why would we do this? For me, it's to reinforce a habit I need, to own my own faith, to connect with God and what He's saying to me, and to connect with people who are hungry to know God more...

Your reasons might be some of the same as mine.

The more folks read and comment, the richer the experience will be. Join the discussion!

Sunday, February 13, 2011

February 13, 2011


The road

In terms of understanding the spiritual realm and how it affects us as we live our lives, today’s entry is pretty foundational.  Evil spirits can harass us, but they can’t touch us, and they can’t do anything, really, other than distract us.

We’ve already talked about how being tempted isn’t sin, but willingly walking toward and entering into the temptation is sin.  There’s a point at which we decide whether or not to follow the temptation, therefore, no one else is making us sin.  Sure, the more times we do that particular sin, the less we think about it, but even so, we have a choice.  No one controls us.  Or, as my kids would put it, I’m the boss of me.

All the enemy can do is distract and plant doubt by telling us lies.  Some of the ones I’m familiar with go like this…  You’re not good enough.  You’ve messed up so many times in your life that God can’t use you.  You have nothing meaningful to offer. 

There are lots more, but the thing is that these aren’t very original, are they? 

There’s something about bringing dark things into the light that makes them lose their power.  If the next time I hear “You’ve messed up; God can’t use you anymore,” I think about this post, think about the road with houses, and realize it’s just a line from the enemy, I’ll be able to put it in perspective.  Sure, it still stings, but I know where it’s coming from, and it has no power over me. 

When Christ conquered death on the cross, He broke the power of the enemy for all time.  Because we belong to Him, He covers us.  I don’t have to live in fear.  I’m so grateful for His grace in my life.

1 comment:

  1. I like the picture Neil paints of the road. I wish it were as easy as he describes in the first scenario, we keep our eyes on Jesus and nothing distracts us. Now I can picture all those distractions as Satan's helpers and they look so evil, all drooling and hairy and darkness surrounding them.
    This makes me think that one of Satan's most powerful tools is busyness. I become distracted when I am busy. I do not see Jesus at the end of the row of houses during this time I just focus on what I am doing. This helped it be more clear for me that I need to keep my eyes on Jesus even when I am busy, no especially when I am busy.
    I too am grateful for His grace in my life. He covers me.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

I've been a teacher, a church administrator, and currently I'm an at-home mommy, which is my most challenging assignment yet. My home church is WellSpring - it's where my heart is, where my family is. I'm so grateful to God for His work in me and the people He's allowed me to share life with.