welcome to connect: project 2011

This blog is a project I'm undertaking for 2011... Why don't you join me?

The goal is to spend a little time each day reading from a devotional book, Daily in Christ by Neil T. Anderson, and connecting with people via blog post and comments.

Don't have the book yet? You can find it on Amazon, or you can read the daily post at:
www.crosswalk.com/devotionals/dailyinchrist

Why would we do this? For me, it's to reinforce a habit I need, to own my own faith, to connect with God and what He's saying to me, and to connect with people who are hungry to know God more...

Your reasons might be some of the same as mine.

The more folks read and comment, the richer the experience will be. Join the discussion!

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Things that shake

Why are earthquakes so disturbing?  Sure, there’s the moment when, especially if you’ve ever been in a really strong one, you ask, Is this going to get bigger, or smaller?  Is it The Big One?  Confusion and adrenaline:  not a good combo.

For me, having experienced two major quakes (Loma Prieta/San Francisco, 1989, and Northridge, 1994, if you’re keeping score), it left a mark on my psyche to see things that seemed permanent suddenly crumpled and broken.  Roads, houses, freeways…  These things ought not be.  I imagine the feeling is the same, whether it’s an earthquake, tornado, hurricane, flood, or other disaster.

Not an exact metaphor, but the picture was strong in my mind of trusting in something I’m absolutely sure is rock solid, only to find out that forces I never imagined could cause its destruction. 

Although I know it doesn’t do much good, I wish the earth wouldn’t shake.  I wish life circumstances wouldn’t shake, either.  But when they do, I’m so grateful for what it says in Psalm 91:

Those who live in the shelter of the Most High will find rest in the shadow of the Almighty.  This I declare of the Lord:  He alone is my refuge, my place of safety; He is my God, and I am trusting Him.

He will shield you with His wings.  He will shelter you with His feathers.  His faithful promises are your armor and protection.  Do not be afraid of the terrors of the night, nor fear the dangers of the day…

The Lord says, “I will rescue those who love Me.  I will protect those who trust in My name.  When they call on Me, I will answer; I will be with them in trouble.  I will rescue them and honor them.”  Psalm 91:1-2, 4-5, 14-15

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

I've been a teacher, a church administrator, and currently I'm an at-home mommy, which is my most challenging assignment yet. My home church is WellSpring - it's where my heart is, where my family is. I'm so grateful to God for His work in me and the people He's allowed me to share life with.