welcome to connect: project 2011

This blog is a project I'm undertaking for 2011... Why don't you join me?

The goal is to spend a little time each day reading from a devotional book, Daily in Christ by Neil T. Anderson, and connecting with people via blog post and comments.

Don't have the book yet? You can find it on Amazon, or you can read the daily post at:
www.crosswalk.com/devotionals/dailyinchrist

Why would we do this? For me, it's to reinforce a habit I need, to own my own faith, to connect with God and what He's saying to me, and to connect with people who are hungry to know God more...

Your reasons might be some of the same as mine.

The more folks read and comment, the richer the experience will be. Join the discussion!

Sunday, September 4, 2011

September 5, 2011

The warning light

Did you ever watch the tv show Home Improvement?  You know, waaay back in the ‘90’s…  One of our favorite episodes was one where Tim’s wife killed the car.  The “check engine” light went on, but she didn’t think it was important.  The result was a giant, two ton paperweight in the driveway…  Oops.

Tim said, “So, the light went on, but you didn’t tell me?”  She replies, “Well, I figured if it was important, it would get brighter, or buzz, or something!”  He says, “It’s a car, not a game show!”  (cue laughter from the studio audience)

Apparently, we humans have warning lights, too.  They’re called emotions.  In case you ever wondered what they were for, now you know. 

Not sure what to do with those emotions?  Neil cracked me up:  …you can respond to the light as the manufacturers intended for you to respond by looking under the hood and fixing the problem.

Did I mention, he’s an engineer?  Messy emotions?  Just get out the manual, read up, and fix it!  Okay, probably that’s a good approach, but he just made it sound so simple.  And we aren’t really wired that way.

Nonetheless, when my emotional response to something is off the charts in comparison to what it should be, it gives me reason to stop and see what’s going on below the surface.  Oh, yeah – that’s a sore spot, because my dad used to say that to me!  You get the idea.

I’m looking forward to reading what Neil has in store for us in the next couple of days.  Now, let me get out my tool box…

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

I've been a teacher, a church administrator, and currently I'm an at-home mommy, which is my most challenging assignment yet. My home church is WellSpring - it's where my heart is, where my family is. I'm so grateful to God for His work in me and the people He's allowed me to share life with.