welcome to connect: project 2011

This blog is a project I'm undertaking for 2011... Why don't you join me?

The goal is to spend a little time each day reading from a devotional book, Daily in Christ by Neil T. Anderson, and connecting with people via blog post and comments.

Don't have the book yet? You can find it on Amazon, or you can read the daily post at:
www.crosswalk.com/devotionals/dailyinchrist

Why would we do this? For me, it's to reinforce a habit I need, to own my own faith, to connect with God and what He's saying to me, and to connect with people who are hungry to know God more...

Your reasons might be some of the same as mine.

The more folks read and comment, the richer the experience will be. Join the discussion!

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

September 6, 2011

You say suppression…

There’s another word I’m more familiar with when it comes to stuffing your feelings way down where they won’t bother anyone:  denial. 

In my thinking, there’s a spectrum that starts at “it’s not convenient to deal with that right now” and ends near “the only way I can cope is to ignore that thing for now, or forever…” 

It seems that there was a generation of Christians, hopefully in the past, that held to the motto:  Denial is next to godliness.  I never would have believed it, had I not been told by my boss at a Christian school to keep it together, not show how upset I was over a major thing that happened in my life – after all, that’s how she raised her kids with her husband off to war.  I think she was trying to help, but it was just so misguided…

Even so, I think a little bit of denial can be good.  Well, maybe more the discipline of setting aside big emotions until you’re at a time and a place they can be dealt with appropriately.  The temptation, though, is to leave the locked in the closet I stuffed them in and never open the door.

In order to be an emotionally healthy person, I’m responsible for dealing with my emotions, even the big, awful ones.  When I find myself saying, Oh, that didn’t bother me, when apparently it did, my efforts would be better spent dealing with whatever it was – even if it means conflict – than convincing myself that things are okay.  Today, I’m going to be asking God to show me what things I’ve stuffed, and what to do about them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

I've been a teacher, a church administrator, and currently I'm an at-home mommy, which is my most challenging assignment yet. My home church is WellSpring - it's where my heart is, where my family is. I'm so grateful to God for His work in me and the people He's allowed me to share life with.