welcome to connect: project 2011

This blog is a project I'm undertaking for 2011... Why don't you join me?

The goal is to spend a little time each day reading from a devotional book, Daily in Christ by Neil T. Anderson, and connecting with people via blog post and comments.

Don't have the book yet? You can find it on Amazon, or you can read the daily post at:
www.crosswalk.com/devotionals/dailyinchrist

Why would we do this? For me, it's to reinforce a habit I need, to own my own faith, to connect with God and what He's saying to me, and to connect with people who are hungry to know God more...

Your reasons might be some of the same as mine.

The more folks read and comment, the richer the experience will be. Join the discussion!

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Aaaaaaaand we’re back to the dating metaphor…

Reading today’s story, I’m surprised by my reaction:  anger.  I’m surprised because, as usual, Neil’s logic makes total sense, so why the emotion?

I’m angry because this poor girl was lied to, kept in a cycle of destructive behavior, and led to believe it was all her fault. 

I think the reason it strikes a chord in me is that it follows the cycle of an abusive relationship; it reminds me of a time in my life when I was dating a controlling guy.  I’m not here to bash him – he’s reformed, actually – but I remember thinking I was going crazy, because things that sure seemed like they were his fault got turned around to become my fault.  He wasn’t good for me, but for some reason, I stayed with this guy for about a year too long.

In terms of dating, I’ve counseled my friends:  Respect yourself!  Don’t stay with a guy who treats you badly!  You are not the problem here! 

I could say all of this because I’d lived it.

The strategy of the enemy is to not only keep us under his foot, but then to lead us to believe things are our fault.  It’s up to us to recognize who the enemy is; until we do, we’ll never win the battle.

Lord, show me where this is happening in my life today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

I've been a teacher, a church administrator, and currently I'm an at-home mommy, which is my most challenging assignment yet. My home church is WellSpring - it's where my heart is, where my family is. I'm so grateful to God for His work in me and the people He's allowed me to share life with.