welcome to connect: project 2011

This blog is a project I'm undertaking for 2011... Why don't you join me?

The goal is to spend a little time each day reading from a devotional book, Daily in Christ by Neil T. Anderson, and connecting with people via blog post and comments.

Don't have the book yet? You can find it on Amazon, or you can read the daily post at:
www.crosswalk.com/devotionals/dailyinchrist

Why would we do this? For me, it's to reinforce a habit I need, to own my own faith, to connect with God and what He's saying to me, and to connect with people who are hungry to know God more...

Your reasons might be some of the same as mine.

The more folks read and comment, the richer the experience will be. Join the discussion!

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Ostriches and zealots

I used to be an ostrich.  Regarding what I believed in the devil and demons, that is.  I was young, and way more concerned with getting to know Jesus, and evil was, you know, evil.  I didn’t want to get close enough to understand it, for fear I would get spiritual cooties.  Ignorance, I thought, would be bliss.

But the day came when I picked up Frank Peretti’s book, This Present Darkness.  It was a suspense/thriller, and wasn’t in any way preachy.  I doubt Mr. Peretti meant it to be a theological treatise, but the story was balanced and scriptural.  And vivid…oh, so vivid.  I seem to remember some wild dreams, and for a time, every odd thing made me wonder at the spiritual forces behind it. 

Obviously, neither of these is a good way to live.  Being an ostrich means living by fear, and being a zealot means giving undue attention and power to spiritual forces other than God Himself. 

I love Neil’s quote from the Screwtape Letters:  There are two equal and opposite errors into which our race can fall about the devils.  One is to disbelieve their existence.  The other is to believe and feel an unhealthy interest in them.  They themselves are equally pleased by both errors and hail a materialist or a magician with the same delight.

I looked it up, and C.S. Lewis wrote Screwtape Letters in 1942.  Nearly 70 years have gone by, and not much has changed. 

Being willing to investigate and understand what goes on in the heavenly realms is a must for mature Christians – heck, it helps make sense of the world we live in.  Even more a priority is doing so while keeping God at the center of our awe and respect.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

I've been a teacher, a church administrator, and currently I'm an at-home mommy, which is my most challenging assignment yet. My home church is WellSpring - it's where my heart is, where my family is. I'm so grateful to God for His work in me and the people He's allowed me to share life with.