welcome to connect: project 2011

This blog is a project I'm undertaking for 2011... Why don't you join me?

The goal is to spend a little time each day reading from a devotional book, Daily in Christ by Neil T. Anderson, and connecting with people via blog post and comments.

Don't have the book yet? You can find it on Amazon, or you can read the daily post at:
www.crosswalk.com/devotionals/dailyinchrist

Why would we do this? For me, it's to reinforce a habit I need, to own my own faith, to connect with God and what He's saying to me, and to connect with people who are hungry to know God more...

Your reasons might be some of the same as mine.

The more folks read and comment, the richer the experience will be. Join the discussion!

Sunday, May 8, 2011

May 9, 2011


What do we deserve?

So we got a little instruction today on prayer…  No, we got schooled.  It’s kind of funny when Neil gets on a soapbox, even when it’s a small one.

More to the point:  if God really is who He says He is, and He is in the room with me right now, that changes everything!  How much do I know about Him?  How much do I focus on Him? 

Do my prayers seem like He’s out there somewhere, distant, and I have to fill Him in on what’s going on?  Or is He close like a friend, in the chair next to me, and I can pour my heart out to Him?  (I used to pray in the car when I had a longer commute, and I would mentally picture Him in the seat beside me – weird, but it worked for me.)

I honestly think God doesn’t hold it against us when we ask Him to be with someone in need.  I think He can see through the words to the intent of our heart, thank goodness.  But how much more effective would a more thoughtful prayer be?  I don’t want to get hung up on the words I use, but I also want them to be real and true.

The part about being grateful hits close to home, since we work on saying thank you every day, many, many times a day.  I was reminded of what Erwin McManus (pastor of Mosaic Church in Pasadena) made his kids say every time they told him  they deserved something… 

Dad:  What was that?  What do you deserve?
Kids:  (singsongy, monotone voices)  Death and hell…
Dad:  That’s right.  Very good.

That’s as related to me by my husband, who listens to Erwin’s podcasts from time to time. And it’s funny, but true – I’m so grateful God didn’t give me what I actually deserve.  Thank you, Father, for your grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

I've been a teacher, a church administrator, and currently I'm an at-home mommy, which is my most challenging assignment yet. My home church is WellSpring - it's where my heart is, where my family is. I'm so grateful to God for His work in me and the people He's allowed me to share life with.