welcome to connect: project 2011

This blog is a project I'm undertaking for 2011... Why don't you join me?

The goal is to spend a little time each day reading from a devotional book, Daily in Christ by Neil T. Anderson, and connecting with people via blog post and comments.

Don't have the book yet? You can find it on Amazon, or you can read the daily post at:
www.crosswalk.com/devotionals/dailyinchrist

Why would we do this? For me, it's to reinforce a habit I need, to own my own faith, to connect with God and what He's saying to me, and to connect with people who are hungry to know God more...

Your reasons might be some of the same as mine.

The more folks read and comment, the richer the experience will be. Join the discussion!

Sunday, May 22, 2011

May 22, 2011


The uh-oh feeling

In a seminar about teaching kids safety stuff, we were told to teach our kids to listen to their uh-oh feeling, and to pay attention to our own uh-oh as well.

The speaker had this to say:  that uncle, store employee, neighbor, whomever – may have every reason to seem like a safe person, except for a small, nagging uh-oh feeling you have about them.  Rationalizing it away can lead to serious harm; it’s my job as a parent to listen to that feeling, and then not let that person have access to my child.  I was glad to learn the concept; I’ve already put it into practice.

While the speaker didn’t spell it out, I believe that uh-oh feeling comes from the Holy Spirit. 

I have a tough time believing anything bad about anyone, especially someone I don’t know very well.  I will believe the best about them until the cows come home!  Sounds a little noble; mostly, it’s naïve.  But it’s the optimist in me, so I’m seeing it as somewhat of a good thing (ironically)…

How many times has the Holy Spirit been trying to get my attention with that uh-oh feeling, but I’m too involved in hearing someone’s problem or great idea or life story? 

In the church, especially with leaders, we tend to give the benefit of the doubt.  If they are leading a care group, for example, of course they must have their lives together!  If they are a ministry leader at our church, I’m sure everything is cool!  While I don’t want to jump to the other extreme and start questioning everyone and their intentions, I need to be reminded to stop and listen to the Holy Spirit.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

I've been a teacher, a church administrator, and currently I'm an at-home mommy, which is my most challenging assignment yet. My home church is WellSpring - it's where my heart is, where my family is. I'm so grateful to God for His work in me and the people He's allowed me to share life with.