welcome to connect: project 2011

This blog is a project I'm undertaking for 2011... Why don't you join me?

The goal is to spend a little time each day reading from a devotional book, Daily in Christ by Neil T. Anderson, and connecting with people via blog post and comments.

Don't have the book yet? You can find it on Amazon, or you can read the daily post at:
www.crosswalk.com/devotionals/dailyinchrist

Why would we do this? For me, it's to reinforce a habit I need, to own my own faith, to connect with God and what He's saying to me, and to connect with people who are hungry to know God more...

Your reasons might be some of the same as mine.

The more folks read and comment, the richer the experience will be. Join the discussion!

Friday, May 20, 2011

May 20, 2011


Lies

I was thinking about lies.  Reading today’s entry, it talks a lot about lies that concern something we might do; the lies I’ve been pondering are more about who we are (although we’ve explored that connection ad nauseum, and suffice it to say, they go together). 

In this week’s news headlines are men behaving badly…  One article talked about why so frequently men (and, presumably, women, too) seem to have moral failures on such an epic scale.  The comment that caught my attention was that they probably feel like they are above it all; the rules that apply to everyone else no longer apply to them.

I actually know someone, a believer, who talked themselves into believing that the affair they were having was okay with God.  They twisted scripture verses, rationalized based on circumstances, and lived in denial to an amazing degree.  But the beginning of it all was a lie:  I’m above the rules.  It’s okay for me to do this.  For everyone else, not so much, but God understands why I’m doing it.

Other lies we allow have to do with who are…  I find myself thinking very negatively about myself, more often than I’d like to admit.  I won’t give you the list – let’s just say it’s long and very detailed.  I let myself do it because it feels almost right – humility is a good thing, right?  Why does it matter what I think about myself? 

The truth is that if the enemy can get my attention and get me focused on all that’s wrong, it keeps me from being who I am in Christ.  I’m not living to the fullest as a child of God, and I’m not effective in my family, in my church, wherever – not in the way God has planned. 

Neil’s prayer today is my own:  Lord, I really want your truth, and the freedom it brings, in my life…  Help me face up to the truth, receive it, and act on it today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

I've been a teacher, a church administrator, and currently I'm an at-home mommy, which is my most challenging assignment yet. My home church is WellSpring - it's where my heart is, where my family is. I'm so grateful to God for His work in me and the people He's allowed me to share life with.