welcome to connect: project 2011

This blog is a project I'm undertaking for 2011... Why don't you join me?

The goal is to spend a little time each day reading from a devotional book, Daily in Christ by Neil T. Anderson, and connecting with people via blog post and comments.

Don't have the book yet? You can find it on Amazon, or you can read the daily post at:
www.crosswalk.com/devotionals/dailyinchrist

Why would we do this? For me, it's to reinforce a habit I need, to own my own faith, to connect with God and what He's saying to me, and to connect with people who are hungry to know God more...

Your reasons might be some of the same as mine.

The more folks read and comment, the richer the experience will be. Join the discussion!

Friday, May 6, 2011

May 6, 2011


Add-ons

Wandering through the day’s headlines, I came across a story on Jewish Kabbalah.  I’ve heard of it but didn’t know what it entails, so I read on…  Most of the story was about the finances of a specific group, but within the article they decribed Kabbalah as an ancient Jewish mysticism based on a 2,000 year old book called Zohar, which explains the mysteries of the universe.

The article went on to say later that one of the appeals of Kabbalah is that you can just add it to whatever you currently believe.  It does not demand that you renounce your former beliefs; you can hold them concurrently. 

Prevailing thought is that people aren’t as black and white as they used to be; it’s okay for you to have your religion and for me to have my own.  Live and let live.  And many people believe bits and pieces of several faiths. 

I’ve had a hard time grasping that someone would sign on to believe in Christ and still be open to contradictory beliefs, but I’m also amazed at believers who read their horoscopes, etc.  That’s why the phrase from the Kabbalah article hit me:  you can just add it on to what you already know.

These are the muddy waters we need to be looking out for.  We need to be sharp in our understanding, and ready to teach and mentor new believers.  We need to be diligent to test whatever new comes along.

I tend to believe the best about people.  You’d think it’s a good quality, but the reality is, I can’t be asleep at the wheel.  I’m going to bookmark this page in my devotional.

And if you’re interested in the Kabbalah article (though it’s mostly about the organization and its finances), you can find it here:

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/la-et-kabbalah-investigation-20110506,0,6476645.story

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

I've been a teacher, a church administrator, and currently I'm an at-home mommy, which is my most challenging assignment yet. My home church is WellSpring - it's where my heart is, where my family is. I'm so grateful to God for His work in me and the people He's allowed me to share life with.