welcome to connect: project 2011

This blog is a project I'm undertaking for 2011... Why don't you join me?

The goal is to spend a little time each day reading from a devotional book, Daily in Christ by Neil T. Anderson, and connecting with people via blog post and comments.

Don't have the book yet? You can find it on Amazon, or you can read the daily post at:
www.crosswalk.com/devotionals/dailyinchrist

Why would we do this? For me, it's to reinforce a habit I need, to own my own faith, to connect with God and what He's saying to me, and to connect with people who are hungry to know God more...

Your reasons might be some of the same as mine.

The more folks read and comment, the richer the experience will be. Join the discussion!

Sunday, May 8, 2011

May 8, 2011


Sowing and Reaping

As a mom (Happy Mother’s Day, everyone!), I’m so thankful for the principle of sowing and reaping.

Over the years, sometimes I’ve appreciated this concept as a sort-of cosmic So There, as in, Sure, you’re getting away with that, but someday, you’ll reap what you’re sowing right now.  So there. 

Call it the Christian version of karma, I’m grateful that God wove this wisdom into the fabric of the universe.  Scientists study cause and effect – everything, people included, are subject to the law of sowing and reaping.  God is good, and He does keep track.  And oh, yeah – He is just.

Now, when it comes to parenting…  My kids are pretty young, and it can be pretty mind-numbing to be drilling the same things over and over and over (and over):  We speak kindly to each other.  We take turns.  We wait for each other.  We say we’re sorry when we’ve hurt someone, and ask if they’re okay. 

It’s all with the hopes that someday, these children will be kind, compassionate, responsible, loving big people.  Am I winning?  Most days, I’d say it’s a draw.

That’s where sowing and reaping come in, though…  We can’t see it now, but life is happening below the surface of the soil.  When we least expect it, we’ll see growth.  And someday, we’ll stand amazed at the full-grown, fruitful life we’ve tended.

The girls who babysit my kids now are the beautiful young women I taught in Sunday school when they were 4 and 5…  Some of them, I’ve known their whole lives.  They are evidence of God’s faithfulness to faithful parents.

Neil included Galatians 6:7 at the top today; I’d like to give you verses 8 and 9:

…But those who live to please the Spirit (NKJ says, sow to the Spirit) will harvest everlasting life from the Spirit.  So don’t get tired of doing what is good.  Don’t get discouraged and give up, for we will reap a harvest of blessing at the appropriate time.

I’m encouraged by that today…  I hope you are, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

I've been a teacher, a church administrator, and currently I'm an at-home mommy, which is my most challenging assignment yet. My home church is WellSpring - it's where my heart is, where my family is. I'm so grateful to God for His work in me and the people He's allowed me to share life with.