welcome to connect: project 2011

This blog is a project I'm undertaking for 2011... Why don't you join me?

The goal is to spend a little time each day reading from a devotional book, Daily in Christ by Neil T. Anderson, and connecting with people via blog post and comments.

Don't have the book yet? You can find it on Amazon, or you can read the daily post at:
www.crosswalk.com/devotionals/dailyinchrist

Why would we do this? For me, it's to reinforce a habit I need, to own my own faith, to connect with God and what He's saying to me, and to connect with people who are hungry to know God more...

Your reasons might be some of the same as mine.

The more folks read and comment, the richer the experience will be. Join the discussion!

Thursday, May 19, 2011

May 19, 2011


This one’s personal

As much as I’d like to think I’m not all that affected by the world’s standards in terms of my identity, today’s entry is where I’m living right now.  Many days, anyway.

Was it my liberal education?  Starting with my freshman writing course, which began with Women’s Roles in Traditional Fairy Tales?  (8 Clap, everyone!  And if you’ve never heard of the 8 Clap, you’re not a UCLA fan.  But you may continue reading anyway.)

Was it my own unrealistic expectations?  Did I really think I wouldn’t morph into a typical mom once I had kids?  Did I honestly believe I would find ultimate fulfillment in folding that 5th load of laundry in a day?  (note to self:  wet clothes in the washer right now...)

And if you’re a guy and you’re reading this, the guy I happen to live with struggles all the time with the balance between the pressures at work and being home with our kids often enough for them to want him around.  You may not stress out about how you look in a bathing suit, but you probably have your struggles, too.

It takes some reminding that the thing I’m spending my life on – my family – is of eternal value.  I have to keep my eyes on where my real identity comes from.  I don’t want to just survive; I want to thrive.  I want to bloom.  Just not there yet…

1 comment:

  1. Amen sweetheart! I totally agree.

    What a struggle it is for me to balance the time with family and time working. Laptops and super smart phones have "enabled" me to work all the time from almost anywhere.

    Is that really an improvement?

    And when I am choosing to be with family, am I fully engaged or just sitting by counting minutes but thinking about work or the other crises du jour in my life?

    I don't want to just survive; I want to thrive and I want to be a catalyst in my family's lives for growth. In 15 years the Mars Science Lab rover might still be cruising the surface of Mars and in 15 years all my kids will be graduated from high school. Who is gonna remember the hours I spent with them? The rover or my wife and kids?

    ReplyDelete

About Me

I've been a teacher, a church administrator, and currently I'm an at-home mommy, which is my most challenging assignment yet. My home church is WellSpring - it's where my heart is, where my family is. I'm so grateful to God for His work in me and the people He's allowed me to share life with.