welcome to connect: project 2011

This blog is a project I'm undertaking for 2011... Why don't you join me?

The goal is to spend a little time each day reading from a devotional book, Daily in Christ by Neil T. Anderson, and connecting with people via blog post and comments.

Don't have the book yet? You can find it on Amazon, or you can read the daily post at:
www.crosswalk.com/devotionals/dailyinchrist

Why would we do this? For me, it's to reinforce a habit I need, to own my own faith, to connect with God and what He's saying to me, and to connect with people who are hungry to know God more...

Your reasons might be some of the same as mine.

The more folks read and comment, the richer the experience will be. Join the discussion!

Thursday, May 5, 2011

May 5, 2011


Bloom where you’re planted

For a long time, I had a Mary Engelbreit magnet where I would see it often:  Bloom where you’re planted.  Cute as ever, but at that time in my life, I wanted to do anything but. 

I was at a job that I knew God had called me to, but it was a job I hated.  There was a lot about that job that was out of my control, dealing with other people and their issues.  And then there was the fact that I just wasn’t good at it…  That, however, was within my ability to change.

For some reason, I knew I was in this awful job so that God could build some things (character) in me, and I stayed.  Plus, when I would pray and ask Him if I could quit (which was nearly every day), He said no.  So I stayed.

An amazing thing happened.  As I worked my little tail off, God met me, and over time, made me love the job.  Eventually, I got good at it, sweet people replaced many of the difficult, and eventually, God let me move on to another job.  I was so glad to have left well than to have quit as a failure.  Because I stuck it out, God did that.

When we were first married, we lived in a tiny apartment.  I’m really more of a creative person, and don’t have the Cleaning Fanatic Gene in me.  Nonetheless, tubs must be scrubbed.  One day, while I was scrubbing said tub, I lightheartedly made a deal with God.  It went like this:

God, our apartment is tiny and funky, but it’s ours.  You gave it to us, it’s our home, and I love it.  I’m going to scrub and clean it the best I can, even though it’s little.  And someday, maybe you’ll put me in a house to scrub and clean. 

I was pretty shocked when, about four years later, God put us into a house. 

I’m revisiting these stories as much to inspire myself as anyone who might be reading.  There are parts of my life that aren’t where I’d like to be planted, and I need to recognize that so I can get working on my blooms. 

Need more inspiration?  Read about Joseph in the prison, David in the caves, Paul in whatever disaster you can imagine…

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

I've been a teacher, a church administrator, and currently I'm an at-home mommy, which is my most challenging assignment yet. My home church is WellSpring - it's where my heart is, where my family is. I'm so grateful to God for His work in me and the people He's allowed me to share life with.