welcome to connect: project 2011

This blog is a project I'm undertaking for 2011... Why don't you join me?

The goal is to spend a little time each day reading from a devotional book, Daily in Christ by Neil T. Anderson, and connecting with people via blog post and comments.

Don't have the book yet? You can find it on Amazon, or you can read the daily post at:
www.crosswalk.com/devotionals/dailyinchrist

Why would we do this? For me, it's to reinforce a habit I need, to own my own faith, to connect with God and what He's saying to me, and to connect with people who are hungry to know God more...

Your reasons might be some of the same as mine.

The more folks read and comment, the richer the experience will be. Join the discussion!

Saturday, April 9, 2011

April 9, 2011


Follow the peace

After several years of marriage, my husband and I began carpooling to work together.  I’m really not a Nervous Nelly, but I was surprised at how used to being the one behind the wheel I was!  Loren is a good driver, but I had many, many adrenaline-filled moments until we worked it all out. 

What was my issue?  I wasn’t the one in control. 

When we talked about temptation (February 6th), we determined that it’s all about who we are looking to in order to meet our legitimate needs.  We can depend on God to meet them (good), or we can try to meet them ourselves (bad). 

Today, I was pondering the fact that it seems like much of the anxiety I feel is when I am trying to fix, or control, what is not mine to fix. 

The events of my morning were out of control, and I chuckled as I read about the peace I was lacking today.  In the big picture, I have that peace, but when a crisis arises, my default is to try to fix things on my own.  My stress comes from the fact that I’m trying to control the situation, to whatever extent I can.

It doesn’t work, in case you were wondering.

When Neil started out talking about how it’s common for people to rely on a sense of peace as the Holy Spirit’s voice, I was prepared to take a beating…  To my surprise, he went with it!  (Then I re-read the verse at the top; I should have known.)

I find myself asking what the things I look to for comfort and escape are.  I’ve got the big questions answered, but I know I need to be faithful in the small things as well.  I’m so grateful for His patience with me, His willingness to help me break old patterns, and mostly, for the peace that blows my mind when I give Him all my cares.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

I've been a teacher, a church administrator, and currently I'm an at-home mommy, which is my most challenging assignment yet. My home church is WellSpring - it's where my heart is, where my family is. I'm so grateful to God for His work in me and the people He's allowed me to share life with.