welcome to connect: project 2011

This blog is a project I'm undertaking for 2011... Why don't you join me?

The goal is to spend a little time each day reading from a devotional book, Daily in Christ by Neil T. Anderson, and connecting with people via blog post and comments.

Don't have the book yet? You can find it on Amazon, or you can read the daily post at:
www.crosswalk.com/devotionals/dailyinchrist

Why would we do this? For me, it's to reinforce a habit I need, to own my own faith, to connect with God and what He's saying to me, and to connect with people who are hungry to know God more...

Your reasons might be some of the same as mine.

The more folks read and comment, the richer the experience will be. Join the discussion!

Sunday, April 10, 2011

April 10, 2011

Oh…  Now I get it…

About seven years ago, we were the victims of identity theft.  We didn’t know it had happened until an old credit account cancelled us due to a drop in our credit rating.  Still, we had no idea the extent to which things had gone…

The credit card on which the fraud had happened never contacted us.  Our first contact was from a collections agency. 

Over the next several months, the calls would go like this:  a nice person would call saying they had some information for us on our file, and would spend some time going over the details, few as they were.  Then at some point, they would mention that they wanted us to set up a payment schedule.  Eventually, they would become mean, misrepresent the facts, and one even accused me of making these charges and lying about it to my husband.  They exploited the fact that we didn’t know our rights.

It was very disorienting; we would think a caller was someone on our side, only to realize that they were quite the opposite.  They did not care about our situation, but were manipulating us in order to get us to pay a debt that was not ours to begin with.

We were blindsided – we ended up fighting a battle that we knew nothing about.  Learning the rules was a painful, exhausting process, and in the end, it was only the grace of God that prevailed in getting the debt erased.

While it’s not a big leap for me to compare credit/collections agency representatives to demonic representatives, understanding what we're up against makes all the difference.  The world is going to make a lot more sense if I understand where the battles are, and how to fight them.

Also, I need to be reminded to gear up spiritually each day.

A final word:  Be strong with the Lord’s mighty power.  Put on all of God’s armor so that you will be able to stand firm…  Ephesians 6:10-11

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

I've been a teacher, a church administrator, and currently I'm an at-home mommy, which is my most challenging assignment yet. My home church is WellSpring - it's where my heart is, where my family is. I'm so grateful to God for His work in me and the people He's allowed me to share life with.