welcome to connect: project 2011

This blog is a project I'm undertaking for 2011... Why don't you join me?

The goal is to spend a little time each day reading from a devotional book, Daily in Christ by Neil T. Anderson, and connecting with people via blog post and comments.

Don't have the book yet? You can find it on Amazon, or you can read the daily post at:
www.crosswalk.com/devotionals/dailyinchrist

Why would we do this? For me, it's to reinforce a habit I need, to own my own faith, to connect with God and what He's saying to me, and to connect with people who are hungry to know God more...

Your reasons might be some of the same as mine.

The more folks read and comment, the richer the experience will be. Join the discussion!

Saturday, April 30, 2011

April 30, 2011


Not fair

Forgiving…  It’s so unfair.  I wasn’t the one who was wrong, but I get stuck with the consequences…  The first time I read today’s entry, it was such a revelation.  There it was in black and white – yup, not fair.  Yup, I need to choose to be okay with it.  More to the point, because of the cross, I get to choose to be okay with it.

When Jesus tells the story of the unforgiving servant, I see myself…  This dude owed more money than you could shake a stick at (they did have sticks back then…), and when he was on the doorstep of the prison (figuratively), the king calls him back and forgives him.  Debt cancelled.  Was it fair?  No.  The king chose to take the loss.  Not fair, but merciful.

It really helps me to put it into those terms.  There are times the person who hurt me won’t ever say they are sorry, and for some reason, that seems to add to the tab.  I love that Neil tells us to get in touch with the feelings that are there – it sounds very EHS*, doesn’t it?  It’s the equivalent of cleaning out the infection in order for the wound to heal – sorry for the yucky analogy.  I’m probably grossed out more than you are.

Forgiveness deals with me, not what the other person did to me.  Having someone hurt me makes me feel powerless, but I don’t have to stay that way.  I can make the choice to take the loss, pay they owe me, and live as a healthy person. 

Thank you, Jesus, for showing me how.

*EHS = Emotionally Healthy Spirituality, by Pete Scazzero – we did a series on this at church a couple of years ago

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

I've been a teacher, a church administrator, and currently I'm an at-home mommy, which is my most challenging assignment yet. My home church is WellSpring - it's where my heart is, where my family is. I'm so grateful to God for His work in me and the people He's allowed me to share life with.