welcome to connect: project 2011

This blog is a project I'm undertaking for 2011... Why don't you join me?

The goal is to spend a little time each day reading from a devotional book, Daily in Christ by Neil T. Anderson, and connecting with people via blog post and comments.

Don't have the book yet? You can find it on Amazon, or you can read the daily post at:
www.crosswalk.com/devotionals/dailyinchrist

Why would we do this? For me, it's to reinforce a habit I need, to own my own faith, to connect with God and what He's saying to me, and to connect with people who are hungry to know God more...

Your reasons might be some of the same as mine.

The more folks read and comment, the richer the experience will be. Join the discussion!

Thursday, April 28, 2011

April 28, 2011


Active Duty

Today’s blog will be presented in two parts.

First, faith is active, not passive.  What is it that takes me from an immature Christian to a mature one?  I think it’s the degree to which I’m willing to find out what God wants me to do, and then do it.  I have to move; I have to make a change.  It doesn’t matter how much I know, it matters how much I do.

You might be thinking, Wow, I remember back when I was an immature Christian…  Uh, oops.  And I say that because I’m in the same boat with you… 

There’s no line of scrimmage we push our way across and – poof! – suddenly we’re mature!  (If only…)  It’s a lifelong process, and we become mature by degrees.  No matter how long we live, there will always be someone farther along in the process than we are.  We won’t fully get there until we’re in the presence of Christ, transformed.

God’s been speaking to me about being stuck.  Sure, I’m hearing from Him and learning new stuff, but where is the change?  Yup, that’s what I’m hearing.  Now, to get doing…

As for the second part, the last paragraph is one of my favorites in the whole devotional.  I love it!  It’s awesome. 

There was a movie several years ago about a convict who had three strikes against him, which meant life in prison without parole.  He was recruited for an insanely dangerous assignment.  It was called Triple X (the three strikes), and the criminal was played by Vin Diesel. 

He and two other guys were transported in an airplane to a remote place, and instead of bothering to land the plane, our guys were dumped out of the back while the plane flew low.  You could see the fear on the faces of the first two guys, but then Vin takes the scene with a confident, “I live for this stuff!”  (Okay, I did make an edit here, but you get the idea.)  He’s out of the plane, he gets up, shakes himself off, and he’s good to go.

It occurred to me that, while I’m no superhero, as a Christian, I’ve got an all-powerful, miracle-working God on my side, and there’s nothing I should fear!  As long as I’m doing the thing He wants me to do, whatever the obstacles or hardships, I can say, Bring it on!  I live for this stuff! 

I think I needed that inspiration today.  Active duty?  Count me in.  Are you with me?

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

I've been a teacher, a church administrator, and currently I'm an at-home mommy, which is my most challenging assignment yet. My home church is WellSpring - it's where my heart is, where my family is. I'm so grateful to God for His work in me and the people He's allowed me to share life with.