welcome to connect: project 2011

This blog is a project I'm undertaking for 2011... Why don't you join me?

The goal is to spend a little time each day reading from a devotional book, Daily in Christ by Neil T. Anderson, and connecting with people via blog post and comments.

Don't have the book yet? You can find it on Amazon, or you can read the daily post at:
www.crosswalk.com/devotionals/dailyinchrist

Why would we do this? For me, it's to reinforce a habit I need, to own my own faith, to connect with God and what He's saying to me, and to connect with people who are hungry to know God more...

Your reasons might be some of the same as mine.

The more folks read and comment, the richer the experience will be. Join the discussion!

Saturday, April 23, 2011

April 23, 2011


Where am I?

At first, I was distracted by the fact that the rest of the verses Neil is talking about weren’t written out.  How is John showing a progression when the steps are out of order?  It seemed kind of vague. 

Then I looked up the rest of the passage (this is from the New Living Translation):

I am writing to you, my dear children, because your sins have been forgiven because of Jesus. 

I am writing to you who are mature because you know Christ, the one who is from the beginning. 

I am writing to you who are young because you have won your battle with Satan. 

I have written to you, children, because you have known the Father.

I have written to you who are mature because you know Christ, the one who is from the beginning.

I have written to you who are young because you are strong with God’s word living in your hearts, and you have won your battle with Satan.

1 John 2:12-14


Yup, there it all is.  Why does it seem to loop back and repeat?  My two (non-scholarly) ideas are these…  In Hebrew poetry, things are often written in parallel, either comparing two things that are opposite, or that are the same for emphasis.  The book of Proverbs has tons of examples.  The format of these verses is really different from those before and after, which makes me think John was waxing poetic… 

My other thought was about the emotion behind the verses.  It seems like a place where John took a break from explaining stuff to address his audience directly.  He’s reminding them of who they are and what they know.  Pretty strong stuff.

So it seems like we go from being forgiven to learning what to do with that forgiveness, until we finally know Christ in a significant way.  We don’t just know about Him, we know Him.

Where am I?  Where are you?  

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

I've been a teacher, a church administrator, and currently I'm an at-home mommy, which is my most challenging assignment yet. My home church is WellSpring - it's where my heart is, where my family is. I'm so grateful to God for His work in me and the people He's allowed me to share life with.