welcome to connect: project 2011

This blog is a project I'm undertaking for 2011... Why don't you join me?

The goal is to spend a little time each day reading from a devotional book, Daily in Christ by Neil T. Anderson, and connecting with people via blog post and comments.

Don't have the book yet? You can find it on Amazon, or you can read the daily post at:
www.crosswalk.com/devotionals/dailyinchrist

Why would we do this? For me, it's to reinforce a habit I need, to own my own faith, to connect with God and what He's saying to me, and to connect with people who are hungry to know God more...

Your reasons might be some of the same as mine.

The more folks read and comment, the richer the experience will be. Join the discussion!

Monday, October 31, 2011

Why can't it just be about the kids and the candy?

Let’s face it – it’s been a few years since the movies at the top of today’s reading were in the theaters (but Ghostbusters – really?).  But as I was wincing over that fact, wondering if the point was outdated, a radio commercial for one of the top-grossing movies of the weekend came back to me.  I think it’s called Paranormal Activity, and yup, we’re still marketing spirit guides to kids.

Most people I know who are into horror flicks (I’m not) are pretty jaded, not very likely to take what they see as a good idea.  The irony is that there are spiritual truths involved, and probably the goal is to see who will go exploring in those woods, so to speak, and become entangled.

My kids are too young to understand why I’m not very crazy about the witches they make from construction paper as a class art project, or the little ghosts, etc.  I know better than to make them forbidden, though.  All things taboo must be explored by any self-respecting kid, right?  So I’m finding creative ways to explain that while some people like being scared and that’s how they do Halloween, it’s not how we do it.

At some point, probably about a year from now, I’ll need to frame more direct answers with more truth about spiritual things.  I’m glad for the reminder that I need to be diligent, and teach my kids some tough things.  I’ll be ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

I've been a teacher, a church administrator, and currently I'm an at-home mommy, which is my most challenging assignment yet. My home church is WellSpring - it's where my heart is, where my family is. I'm so grateful to God for His work in me and the people He's allowed me to share life with.