welcome to connect: project 2011

This blog is a project I'm undertaking for 2011... Why don't you join me?

The goal is to spend a little time each day reading from a devotional book, Daily in Christ by Neil T. Anderson, and connecting with people via blog post and comments.

Don't have the book yet? You can find it on Amazon, or you can read the daily post at:
www.crosswalk.com/devotionals/dailyinchrist

Why would we do this? For me, it's to reinforce a habit I need, to own my own faith, to connect with God and what He's saying to me, and to connect with people who are hungry to know God more...

Your reasons might be some of the same as mine.

The more folks read and comment, the richer the experience will be. Join the discussion!

Saturday, October 8, 2011

Put the lighter fluid away, please

To write about today’s entry, I’ll set aside the framework of the first two paragraphs.  We’re not in the ‘50’s anymore, but I’ll spare you the rant.  Suffice it to say, unloading emotionally on your husband or wife because you’ve had a bad day is, well, bad.

My husband and I have learned over the years to recognize when a conversation is emotionally charged – beyond what seems obvious – and how to gently ask that question without squirting lighter fluid on the glowing embers.  It helps that we’ve both agreed to this arrangement, and we’ve decided not to get even more defensive at those comments.

We’ve seen emotions escalate in different ways.  Sometimes, we’re mad at one person, but take it out on someone else.  I especially have to watch my words to my kids very carefully when I’m grappling with an emotional situation. 

Other times, something has tripped a switch inside, and the reaction is much bigger than should be warranted.  Those are harder to sort out, but oh-so-helpful when we do.  For example, I’m way angrier than I should be at a small comment because of the giant history I have with someone else who manipulated me in that very fashion.  But that’s a bigger bill than the current offender should have to pay.  I think the current term for that stuff is baggage. 

In any case, the trick for us is to make the person who’s in a bad way emotionally to feel loved and supported, instead of attacked.  Maybe we’ll get it down in another 19 years of marriage…

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

I've been a teacher, a church administrator, and currently I'm an at-home mommy, which is my most challenging assignment yet. My home church is WellSpring - it's where my heart is, where my family is. I'm so grateful to God for His work in me and the people He's allowed me to share life with.