welcome to connect: project 2011

This blog is a project I'm undertaking for 2011... Why don't you join me?

The goal is to spend a little time each day reading from a devotional book, Daily in Christ by Neil T. Anderson, and connecting with people via blog post and comments.

Don't have the book yet? You can find it on Amazon, or you can read the daily post at:
www.crosswalk.com/devotionals/dailyinchrist

Why would we do this? For me, it's to reinforce a habit I need, to own my own faith, to connect with God and what He's saying to me, and to connect with people who are hungry to know God more...

Your reasons might be some of the same as mine.

The more folks read and comment, the richer the experience will be. Join the discussion!

Monday, October 24, 2011

The past can hurt

I’m thinking of a movie clip from the Lion King… 

Rafiki the monkey takes his staff and smacks Simba on the head.  “Ow!  Geez!  What was that for?” he asks.  “It does not matter, it’s in the past,” returns Rafiki. 

Simba says, “Yeah, but it still hurts.”  Rafiki replies, “Yes, the past can hurt.  But the way I see it, you can either run from it, or learn from it.” 

The next time Rafiki swings his staff, Simba ducks.  Then he takes away Rafiki’s staff.

If I’m reading Neil right, my past hurts me in the present, all the more if I don’t stop to deal with it.  If I don’t, my emotional responses (and probably, my choices) will always be the same, tainted by whatever hurt me.  I’ll do things that aren’t good for me and won’t understand why I can’t break out of that cycle. 

How do we deal with those things?  Neil wrote today about talking it through and becoming more aware of what’s going on inside during those moments.  I’ll work on practicing that, and maybe tomorrow we’ll get a bit more instruction.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

I've been a teacher, a church administrator, and currently I'm an at-home mommy, which is my most challenging assignment yet. My home church is WellSpring - it's where my heart is, where my family is. I'm so grateful to God for His work in me and the people He's allowed me to share life with.