welcome to connect: project 2011

This blog is a project I'm undertaking for 2011... Why don't you join me?

The goal is to spend a little time each day reading from a devotional book, Daily in Christ by Neil T. Anderson, and connecting with people via blog post and comments.

Don't have the book yet? You can find it on Amazon, or you can read the daily post at:
www.crosswalk.com/devotionals/dailyinchrist

Why would we do this? For me, it's to reinforce a habit I need, to own my own faith, to connect with God and what He's saying to me, and to connect with people who are hungry to know God more...

Your reasons might be some of the same as mine.

The more folks read and comment, the richer the experience will be. Join the discussion!

Saturday, October 15, 2011

Keep it real

Reality TV – are you a fan?  I’ll confess, I’m not.  I’m not a TV snob, it’s just that the little bits I’ve seen are anything but reality.  Drama!  Suspenseful music!  Cheesy plot twists!  Also, it’s possible that there’s a good show out there, and I’ve missed it.  Apologies, if that’s the case.

When we become Christians, particularly when we begin coming to church and hanging around Christians, there’s pressure to fit in to the new culture:  that of seasoned believers. How do we learn to pray?  By listening to other people pray, mostly.  How do we learn to talk about spiritual things?  By hearing what other believers have to say, and taking on that language.

I don’t think we meant to be fake, but over time, we rely on that frame of reference, instead of digging deeper and learning stuff on our own.  That’s when, I believe, people start getting attached to the trappings of spirituality and forget to grow.

I appreciated this from Neil today:  Paradoxically, the ones who have a real Christian experience are the ones who are free to change their Christian practices. 

I’m thinking of it this way:  if I’m so hungry for more of God, I’ll do anything to keep close with Him.  New songs?  Bring ‘em on.  Crazy ideas for Sunday morning services?  Yes, please.  Stretching beyond where I’m comfortable so unbelievers can hear about Christ?  That’s what it’s all about!

For as open-minded as I think I might be, there are always sticking points, where my pride or laziness rear up, and I get an attitude.  Today, I’m asking God to show me where those are, and help me dismantle them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

I've been a teacher, a church administrator, and currently I'm an at-home mommy, which is my most challenging assignment yet. My home church is WellSpring - it's where my heart is, where my family is. I'm so grateful to God for His work in me and the people He's allowed me to share life with.