welcome to connect: project 2011

This blog is a project I'm undertaking for 2011... Why don't you join me?

The goal is to spend a little time each day reading from a devotional book, Daily in Christ by Neil T. Anderson, and connecting with people via blog post and comments.

Don't have the book yet? You can find it on Amazon, or you can read the daily post at:
www.crosswalk.com/devotionals/dailyinchrist

Why would we do this? For me, it's to reinforce a habit I need, to own my own faith, to connect with God and what He's saying to me, and to connect with people who are hungry to know God more...

Your reasons might be some of the same as mine.

The more folks read and comment, the richer the experience will be. Join the discussion!

Friday, June 3, 2011

June 3, 2011

Idols in the Temple

Jesus broke through religious barriers and went straight to the heart of what worship was all about. 

In my opinion, church shouldn’t be so church-y.  My church isn’t all that church-y, and I’m pretty happy there.  Over the years, I’ve seen people come to my church with religious ideas, and it’s kind of fun to see their preconceptions of what church should look like challenged.

The ones who stay are the ones who look for the heart behind what we do; the ones who leave were looking for a comfortable place, one probably like the church they left. 

But lest I get on my high horse, are there legalistic tendencies I’m harboring, even if they are coming from a good place?  What do I mistake as evidence of God’s work in someone or something, but really, it’s all about my own personal taste? 

And where do I throw out the baby with the bath water, thinking something very unspiritual, when, in fact, God is at work there? 

Last summer, as I read through Old Testament books in which God was speaking to His people about their rebellion, I was struck by the idea that the Israelites had put up idols in the Temple.  What a mind-blower!  The Temple was the symbol of all that was pure and holy and beautiful, and they defiled it with the one thing God told them not to do – worship other gods.

Where are the idols we’ve put up in our church?  Maybe that worship has to be on fire for us to really get into it?  Maybe that the people we sit next to are (mostly) like us?  I don’t know, entirely…  I just remember my heart being soft at the mention of idols in the Temple. 

All I know is that we’re called to do the same thing Jesus did – get through all the other stuff, and find the heart of worship.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

I've been a teacher, a church administrator, and currently I'm an at-home mommy, which is my most challenging assignment yet. My home church is WellSpring - it's where my heart is, where my family is. I'm so grateful to God for His work in me and the people He's allowed me to share life with.