welcome to connect: project 2011

This blog is a project I'm undertaking for 2011... Why don't you join me?

The goal is to spend a little time each day reading from a devotional book, Daily in Christ by Neil T. Anderson, and connecting with people via blog post and comments.

Don't have the book yet? You can find it on Amazon, or you can read the daily post at:
www.crosswalk.com/devotionals/dailyinchrist

Why would we do this? For me, it's to reinforce a habit I need, to own my own faith, to connect with God and what He's saying to me, and to connect with people who are hungry to know God more...

Your reasons might be some of the same as mine.

The more folks read and comment, the richer the experience will be. Join the discussion!

Sunday, June 19, 2011

June 19, 2011

About that broccoli…

Today, Neil answers the questions we’ve been asking for the last couple of days – why don’t Christians end up living like spiritual people? 

Apparently, the answer has to do with applying what I know. 

For all the years I’ve spent in church, for all the sermons I’ve heard and studies I’ve been a part of, I should be a saint by now, right?  Wait, what?  I’m not?  What’s the deal?

A couple of years back, our church did an intense small group study that involved a lot of honest introspection, and led to some serious change in people’s lives.  Listening as people shared their lives and their perspectives was eye-opening.  

There was one guy in our group – let’s call him Joe – who loved to talk.  As the weeks went on, though, we noticed a pattern.  He would start off agreeing with whatever the premise was that we were discussing (they usually involved breaking old behavior or thought patterns), then describe a situation in his life, and go on to explain in detail why the thing we were trying to learn didn’t apply to him, his life, or his situation.  He’s the exception to the rule, don’t you see?

Needless to say, Joe didn’t get a lot out of the study.  I believe when he was finished, he was pretty much the same guy he was when he started. 

Lest you think I’m Joe-bashing, I’d like to mention that there’s a little of Joe in me – in all of us, I think.  We’re quick to make excuses for ourselves, or think we’re okay ignoring the principles for living God has set out for us.  It’s pride, really – we think we’ve got a better way.

The book of James says that if I spend time reading God’s word, but never actually change my life, it’s as if I’ve walked by a mirror, noticed a big piece of broccoli in my teeth, and walked away without, you know, fixing the problem.  Gross.  You can find that in James 1:23-24, but he says it a little bit different than I do.

James goes on to say this: 

But if you keep looking steadily into God’s perfect law – the law [His word] that sets you free – and if you do what it says and don’t forget what you heard, then God will bless you for doing it.  James 1:25

Simple takeaway for today:  I need to close the gap between what I know and what I do.

Also:  Happy Father's Day!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

I've been a teacher, a church administrator, and currently I'm an at-home mommy, which is my most challenging assignment yet. My home church is WellSpring - it's where my heart is, where my family is. I'm so grateful to God for His work in me and the people He's allowed me to share life with.