welcome to connect: project 2011

This blog is a project I'm undertaking for 2011... Why don't you join me?

The goal is to spend a little time each day reading from a devotional book, Daily in Christ by Neil T. Anderson, and connecting with people via blog post and comments.

Don't have the book yet? You can find it on Amazon, or you can read the daily post at:
www.crosswalk.com/devotionals/dailyinchrist

Why would we do this? For me, it's to reinforce a habit I need, to own my own faith, to connect with God and what He's saying to me, and to connect with people who are hungry to know God more...

Your reasons might be some of the same as mine.

The more folks read and comment, the richer the experience will be. Join the discussion!

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

June 1, 2011

Taken for granted

Neil writes, Achievement is determined by who or what you serve. 

Can you think of times where someone signed up with a flawed leader?  Church leaders have failed, politicians have fallen…  While the spotlight gets focused on the person who messed up, imagine the pain and disappointment of all those whose life’s work or ministry was compromised by the leader’s bad decisions.  Who we serve is as important as how we serve.

In terms of serving God, Jesus said that we can’t have two masters.  We can’t be totally His and somewhat still in love with the world…  That’s a tougher one.  Where are my affections?  Are they totally focused on God?  There are lots of shiny things down here that catch my attention…

Just like it’s easy to take a spouse or family member for granted, it’s easy to take God for granted.  He knows I love Him – I can spend my time and energies on this other thing, and He will understand, right?  Um, no, not really.  That’s the thinking that got Israel in trouble.  They allowed themselves to get entangled in the ways of the people around them, and before they knew it, their hearts were far away from God.

Father, forgive me for taking You for granted.  The only treasure I’m looking forward to in heaven is You…

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

I've been a teacher, a church administrator, and currently I'm an at-home mommy, which is my most challenging assignment yet. My home church is WellSpring - it's where my heart is, where my family is. I'm so grateful to God for His work in me and the people He's allowed me to share life with.