welcome to connect: project 2011

This blog is a project I'm undertaking for 2011... Why don't you join me?

The goal is to spend a little time each day reading from a devotional book, Daily in Christ by Neil T. Anderson, and connecting with people via blog post and comments.

Don't have the book yet? You can find it on Amazon, or you can read the daily post at:
www.crosswalk.com/devotionals/dailyinchrist

Why would we do this? For me, it's to reinforce a habit I need, to own my own faith, to connect with God and what He's saying to me, and to connect with people who are hungry to know God more...

Your reasons might be some of the same as mine.

The more folks read and comment, the richer the experience will be. Join the discussion!

Sunday, June 12, 2011

June 12, 2011

The only thing we have to fear is, well, you know…

When I was a kid, my parents bought a book by James Dobson, The Strong-Willed Child.  I’m reasonably confident that they didn’t have my brother in mind for the purchase, either… 

There’s another author, Cynthia Ulrich Tobias, who’s written several books that deal with learning styles, personality types, etc., as they relate to teaching and parenting.  Given my history, naturally, I paid close attention to the parts that dealt with strong-willed kids.

Cynthia’s take is this (as a strong-willed person herself):  never say to a strong willed child, Do this Or Else.  They will Or Else every time. 

Clean your room, or you’ll be grounded for two weeks.  The child thinks, two weeks’ grounding?  I’m okay with that.  I’ll accept those terms.  Without realizing it, the parent has been sucked in to negotiating with a terrorist (a big NATO no-no).

In case you’re wondering, the way to motivate said child is to get on their side and motivate them in some positive way.  I wonder if we can get this mess cleaned up in enough time for a movie this afternoon?  It starts at 2:30…  You get the idea.  Just don’t lay down ultimatums.

Back to the point of today’s entry…  I must become the strong-willed child when dealing with my fears (and truthfully, I actually think in these terms).  What’s the worst that can happen?  We lose our house?  I have to take a job I’ll hate?  Or, the ultimate – I could die?  When I’m actually okay with any of those scenarios (because God has given me peace about it), suddenly, the only thing I’m left fearing is that loss of control that I so totally hate.  And I’m working on that one…

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

I've been a teacher, a church administrator, and currently I'm an at-home mommy, which is my most challenging assignment yet. My home church is WellSpring - it's where my heart is, where my family is. I'm so grateful to God for His work in me and the people He's allowed me to share life with.