welcome to connect: project 2011

This blog is a project I'm undertaking for 2011... Why don't you join me?

The goal is to spend a little time each day reading from a devotional book, Daily in Christ by Neil T. Anderson, and connecting with people via blog post and comments.

Don't have the book yet? You can find it on Amazon, or you can read the daily post at:
www.crosswalk.com/devotionals/dailyinchrist

Why would we do this? For me, it's to reinforce a habit I need, to own my own faith, to connect with God and what He's saying to me, and to connect with people who are hungry to know God more...

Your reasons might be some of the same as mine.

The more folks read and comment, the richer the experience will be. Join the discussion!

Thursday, November 3, 2011

Thomas Guide: an elegy

Do you remember the Thomas Guide?  It was a map book of every section of the city.  My dad installed cabinets all over, and he lived by his Thomas Guide.  He could find just about any place, and knew all kinds of back roads and short cuts to take when traffic got bad.  He’s retired now, and so is the Thomas Guide.

Enter:  GPS and Google Maps…  What an improvement – thank goodness for technology!  And if you’ve ever been frustrated by one of these new things, you’re laughing along with me.

Sometimes, the mistakes are annoying, like the day I tried to find the house of our little carpool buddy in a new-ish development.  It looked pretty simple, except for the fact that Google Maps left off 4 streets or so…  Fortunately, the little man knew his way around the sub-division and we made it without much trouble. 

Other times, the consequences can be treacherous, like the folks who were stranded on what looked a small highway in Oregon, but was, in fact, a county fire road that wasn’t maintained.  I’ve read stories of people who eventually were rescued, and others who were not.

As I was thinking about the lies of the enemy, I pondered the fact that when we’re lied to, we may be heading full-speed into a dangerous situation, all the while happily thinking we’re going to reach our destination.  I know of a man who believed it was okay with God for him to have an affair and leave his wife; lies twisted his understanding of God’s word (which was considerable). 

It’s all the more critical that we spend time understanding what the Bible says, and listening to the Holy Spirit, especially in those moments when He’s giving us that Uh-Oh feeling.  Today, I’m going to be asking God to show me areas of my life where I’ve bought into lies, and look to apply the truth of His word.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

I've been a teacher, a church administrator, and currently I'm an at-home mommy, which is my most challenging assignment yet. My home church is WellSpring - it's where my heart is, where my family is. I'm so grateful to God for His work in me and the people He's allowed me to share life with.