welcome to connect: project 2011

This blog is a project I'm undertaking for 2011... Why don't you join me?

The goal is to spend a little time each day reading from a devotional book, Daily in Christ by Neil T. Anderson, and connecting with people via blog post and comments.

Don't have the book yet? You can find it on Amazon, or you can read the daily post at:
www.crosswalk.com/devotionals/dailyinchrist

Why would we do this? For me, it's to reinforce a habit I need, to own my own faith, to connect with God and what He's saying to me, and to connect with people who are hungry to know God more...

Your reasons might be some of the same as mine.

The more folks read and comment, the richer the experience will be. Join the discussion!

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Rights vs. responsibilities

Responsibility isn’t a very popular word.  I feel badly for it!  Some people want to shirk it; others avoid it at any cost.  Some folks begrudgingly fulfill it, but very few people enjoy it. 

And yet, as new creations in Christ, doing the things I’m responsible for not only becomes possible, it becomes something I want to do!  It’s a joy!  Why?  Because I’m doing what I was created to do. 

What are my responsibilities?  Well, being the best wife and mother I can be, serving in the ministries I’ve committed to at church, keeping healthy spiritually and emotionally, loving and serving others to the best of my abilities…  Funny thing, just typing that list brings a smile to my face!

Why?  Because when I get my focus off of myself and what I want or need at the moment and get it back on my real, actual need – to fulfill my responsibilities in life – I become happier!  Focusing on my own complaints never brings sunshine.

Years ago, I attended a seminar called Parenting With Love and Logic, led by a man named Jim Fay.  It was beyond outstanding.  He cited a study that had polled a large number of adults, asking them to rate their level of happiness.  They asked everything about their lives and their childhoods they could think of to find some link to their happiness level, and the one they found was surprising:  the people who were the happiest adults reported being taught (and required) to do chores as kids.

What’s the takeaway?  I was made to fulfill certain responsibilities.  Neil’s subtly bringing us back to the principle that a true goal doesn’t involve other people, just me (being the best mommy I can, vs. wanting to have obedient kids), so nobody can block it.  Blocked goals lead to frustration and hopelessness; I’m happy and I feel significant when I’m doing what I was made to do.

Now if you’ll excuse me, this best-mommy-and-wife-I-can-be needs to go slay the laundry monster…

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

I've been a teacher, a church administrator, and currently I'm an at-home mommy, which is my most challenging assignment yet. My home church is WellSpring - it's where my heart is, where my family is. I'm so grateful to God for His work in me and the people He's allowed me to share life with.